So I shaved my beard. Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

So I shaved my beard.

Postby BopEuph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:13 pm

So obviously, I originally registered on TubeNet as a euph player.

I'm mostly a bassist now, but had this old, beat-up 12J sitting in my corner that I started playing, taking commercial and jazz gigs, then moving into musical theater as a doubler.

About two years ago, I was hired on a Disney gig where growing a beard helped get the job. The show lasted about six months, but I liked the beard enough to keep it around.

Really wanting to tighten up my low range, I've spent the last year really working it. It's been a gruelling process. I decided yesterday to shave to see what would happen.

I now have this incredibly clear, sonorous, articulate low range all the way down to the pedal notes. I figured shaving would help, but I didn't realize by this much! My beard was never long, it was kept really short, but even that was causing issue from low F on down.

Super excited to really cultivate this sound.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: So I shaved my beard.

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:26 pm

yup.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby BopEuph » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pm

I kinda feel like the beard helped in a way; like adding a handicap while working. Take the handicap away and jump up to the next level. Playing Ride today was actually a little more fun and a lot less taxing.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Postby proam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 pm

My favorite part is all the razor ads that I see surrounding your posts. Harry’s, flamingo ... what will show up next?
proam
bugler
bugler

Postby BopEuph » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 am

The sad thing, on mobile, you kinda have to use an ad blocking app just to see a sensible amount of ads. If not, that razor ad would take up at least half the screen.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 am

99%, likely, have figured all of this out, but - fwiw...

To avoid chaffing and cuts...

- Use a really good hand razor. Quite a few these days (with multiple blades) are nearly foolproof.
- Shave in the tub or shower, and not in front of a sink.
- Throw away the creams and jells. A steam-moistened face (resulting in hot water on your steam-softened stubble) shaves much more easily and better than a face with greasy or creamy stuff on it...and that stuff dulls blades quickly, just as contact with dirt dulls a chainsaw chain quickly.
- Use fingertips (not a mirror) rubbing your face "against the grain" to tell when areas are completely shaved.

bloke "Even these statements will seem controversial to some."
bloke

Postby BopEuph » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 am

I have been an old school double edge guy for a while. I've been doing it for cost reasons (roughly $10-12 per year for materials vs. $20+ for four cartridges or something like that), and intended to go straight edge, but decided this was a good happy medium. I use old school shave soap because I like that warm lather, and experimented this morning with some lotion as a pre-lather, which I think I like on my neck especially.

Either way, I'm so stoked for the new range. I'm finding it tougher to manipulate intonation with just my lips, though; probably because the lack of seal gave me a more variable intonation.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am

Yes. "Playing on hair" is "playing with a big leak"...not dissimilar to playing with leaky valves or with a leaky water key cork.
bloke

Postby iiipopes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 am

Last year I did the "No-Shave-November" thing and let it grow into a full trimmed beard. Even though it looked great, it was detrimental to my Christmas concerts. I didn't realize how bad until I shaved it off over Memorial Day weekend for those gigs.
Last edited by iiipopes on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:26 am

bloke wrote:99%, likely, have figured all of this out, but - fwiw...

To avoid chaffing and cuts...

- Use a really good hand razor. Quite a few these days (with multiple blades) are nearly foolproof.
- Shave in the tub or shower, and not in front of a sink.
- Throw away the creams and jells. A steam-moistened face (resulting in hot water on your steam-softened stubble) shaves much more easily and better than a face with greasy or creamy stuff on it...and that stuff dulls blades quickly, just as contact with dirt dulls a chainsaw chain quickly.
- Use fingertips (not a mirror) rubbing your face "against the grain" to tell when areas are completely shaved.

bloke "Even these statements will seem controversial to some."

EXACTLY THIS^^^

I'd really love to give Wyatt Earp a run for his money (I did in the past, when I wasn't playing quite so much). 2-3 years ago, I shaved the stache, and overall playing was improved, especially the low range. When I was young and playing full-time, I had the 1980's-John-Fletcher-beard-no-stache thing going on (which was strangely popular among tuba players at the time). My day job won't allow beards of any type, so I have to wait until retirement to take up the Amish look again.

But the process Joe describes is my exact morning routine. It works for all the reasons stated. Try it. Good luck!
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby timothy42b » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Some time ago in a lessons Doug suggested I try shaving the moustache, with the idea that I was slipping off optimum mouthpiece placement when moving from high to low range. So I shaved a moustache of 25 years or so as an experiment.

I did get some improvement in sound, but also I decided I looked better this way too, and have kept it clean shaved since.

I use an electric, a triple header Norelco.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby circusboy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm

He seemed to manage.

circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Postby humBell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:09 pm

I guess i didn't realize it made such a difference...

But then, i've rarely let my (facial) hair down since i been playing tuba this past decade.

And even then, i put enough time into coaxing a passable sound from leaky instruments in street band settings where no one expects anything resembling virtuosic playing that the difference a beard makes would go unnoticed, although i thought i successfully tucked the mouthpiece under the 'stach when i had one.

But all that as it is, this seems like an excuse to quote some Edward Robles Jr.:

"Show me a man who doesn't let his beard grow once in a while, even if it's only for a day or so, and you've shown me a man who thinks more of social pressure than he does of his own comfort. And show me a man who says he likes to shave, and you've shown me a man who is either a liar or is asking for punishment."

-from See?
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/29601/29601-h/29601-h.htm

Oh yeah, a garage sale $.50 Schicke injector razer, new blade each week or two... or three, depending on how much i care, which isn't that much. Elsewise in the shower as well. Not that i am the epitome of heigenic best practices. Mileage may vary.
Thanks for playing!
humBell
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Donn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Double-edge sure seems like the cost/benefit optimum to me. I got an old gold plated safety razor at a flea market, maybe from the '40s, back before the recent fad for high end shaving gear but you can still get that kind of thing for $10-20. Steer clear of the fancy crank-open style of later years - it might last for 20 years or so but will eventually fail. Unscented hand soap works fine for lather, e.g. Grandma's Lye Soap.

I just use it to clean up around the edges, but for the sake of the tuba, that includes the lower lip and a small spot at the center of the upper lip. If for no other reason that, before I started doing that, I once had a little mustache hair there get violent on me during a show and it was painful and bloody. Not a large clearing, or even a perceptibly shaved area, just need to keep that spot open a little. I play somewhat high in the mouthpiece anyway.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Jacob Morgan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I've had a beard for 4 years now. Never when I was younger and playing regularly in college. Just started playing again after a long hiatus.

Unfortunately my partner has only ever known me with a beard. I just told her about this post and was instantly forbidden to shave.
Jacob Morgan
3 valves
3 valves

Postby cktuba » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 pm

I know people with beards that are not bothered by them in the least when they play. As for me, I can't get a good seal with the mouthpiece when I have facial hair. As far as I know, there is no 100% certain way to tell how it will affect individuals. The only thing I can say is... if you have a mustache or beard and are having issues playing (particularly in the lower register) try shaving and see what happens.
cktuba
6 valves
6 valves

Location: A department store freeing a man trapped inside what I believe to be a "Martin Mammoth."

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm

People (regardless of ability level of anything-in-particular) seem to be able to "manage".
Most all of us were most amazed, though, when this recording was released:
...as well as this one:
bloke

Postby TubaKen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 pm

It's not exactly clear from most online pics, but when Bobo had a beard and mustache, he shaved the upper and lower lips where they contacted the mouthpiece. This image is from probably ten years later than the one circusboy posted, but somewhat shows what I mean:
Attachments
Botuba.jpeg
Botuba.jpeg (81.39 KiB) Viewed 520 times
TubaKen
bugler
bugler

Postby Voisi1ev » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:21 pm

The eternal struggle...do I look slightly less stupid, or try and sound slightly less stupid.

Just to be safe I'll probably rock a whaler for a few weeks before NABBA.

Any tips on just shaving the MP area?

I tend to use my trimmer then a pass with a razer. Frickin love Cremo Shave Cream.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby hrender » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 pm

YMMV.
hal.

1927 King Symphony 3v bellfront; 1935 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Next