Mouthpiece recommendations for Jinbao Bb Contrabass Trombone

The bulk of the musical talk
Tremozl
lurker
lurker

Mouthpiece recommendations for Jinbao Bb Contrabass Trombone

Post by Tremozl »

Hey guys, I'm new here, and looking for some recommendations for mouthpieces of the Jinbao Bb Contrabass Trombone. Its a clone of the Miraphone. I've played it for a couple months now and the mouthpiece it comes with just isn't cutting it for me. I'm looking for something that will create a really brassy, vulgar, aggressive sound - especially in the contrabass octave.

It doesn't have a leadpipe. The receiver doesn't take any of the standard tuba mouthpieces that I have tried of my own or my friend's. I had this friend measure it and report to me it was something like 13.07mm or so for the mouthpiece receiver's inner diameter, and the Miraphone TU03 mouthpiece (which I am presuming, perhaps incorrectly, the Chinese cloned for this horn) reports that its shank is 13.3mm. Would love to hear any recommendations for what people are using for this or the Miraphone. And yes I am looking for something that will make this horn blatt like the stuff in a lot of Danny Elfman soundtracks.
Last edited by Tremozl on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Mouthpiece recommendations for Jinbao Bb Contrabass Trom

Post by Ace »

Shaved shank Schilke 60B.

Ace
Tremozl
lurker
lurker

Post by Tremozl »

Ace wrote:Shaved shank Schilke 60B.

Ace
Thanks for the quick reply! This is a Bass Trombone mouthpiece though, right? I think I would rather need to install a Large Bore Trombone Leadpipe rather than shave this down.
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

When I played contrabass trombone I had really good results with a PT-82. If you are looking for some edge in the sound I think you will like it. The Custom Music web site shows that they have them available with the small shank. My old Perantucci catalog shows the small shank measuring 14.8mm instead of 15.2mm. This is measured 15mm down from the start of the cup end of the shank.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

I make a huge variety of stuff for contrabass trombone and I can easily customize a shank to fit. See my website.
I would need a better description of the receiver - I couldn't really follow what you said about it.
Tremozl
lurker
lurker

Post by Tremozl »

MikeS wrote:When I played contrabass trombone I had really good results with a PT-82. If you are looking for some edge in the sound I think you will like it. The Custom Music web site shows that they have them available with the small shank. My old Perantucci catalog shows the small shank measuring 14.8mm instead of 15.2mm. This is measured 15mm down from the start of the cup end of the shank.
Sounds good on paper, I especially like how the description of it has "good response in low register", though it may still have too big of a shank. Thanks for the advice!
Doug Elliott wrote:I make a huge variety of stuff for contrabass trombone and I can easily customize a shank to fit. See my website.
I would need a better description of the receiver - I couldn't really follow what you said about it.
Was actually just talking to someone about your mouthpieces :P I may get in touch soon. I see you've served customers in the past with the Miraphone Contrabass which this is a clone of. If I do contact you I will provide some better measurements and some pictures too. To be a bit more clear, I shouldn't have said "leadpipe" as the horn actually doesn't have one, well, at least not yet. I've edited my older post.
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

I know a player who owns a Jin Bao copy of the Miraphone. He told me that his came without a leadpipe and an American shank tuba mouthpiece that did not work very well. He ended up having a Shires bass trombone leadpipe fitted to the slide and using a Greg Black contrabass mouthpiece with good results.

(He might chime in is he on this site...)
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
Tremozl
lurker
lurker

Post by Tremozl »

greenbean wrote:I know a player who owns a Jin Bao copy of the Miraphone. He told me that his came without a leadpipe and an American shank tuba mouthpiece that did not work very well. He ended up having a Shires bass trombone leadpipe fitted to the slide and using a Greg Black contrabass mouthpiece with good results.

(He might chime in is he on this site...)
Sounds exactly like a fellow who I'm emailing right now :) Not sure if he wanted to post publicly, as he just reached out to private message me. But he stated the exact story with those parts he used, so I don't think its a co-incidence. Great guy to help me out like this; very kind!
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Tremozl wrote:
Ace wrote:Shaved shank Schilke 60B.

Ace
Thanks for the quick reply! This is a Bass Trombone mouthpiece though, right? I think I would rather need to install a Large Bore Trombone Leadpipe rather than shave this down.
My recommendation of the Schilke 60B is based on my years of experience on my Cerveny 4 rotor bass trombone in F, not a contrabass trombone in BBb. However, I think the 60B might give your instrument the projection you are seeking-----not the "vulgar, brassy, aggressive, blatty" you want, but still plenty of punch that does not descend into musical tastelessness. Nonetheless, I'd go with the advice from Doug Elliott who has an impeccable reputation on this board as a mouthpiece expert. Good luck.

Ace