We always need something(s) new to which we can look forward Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

We always need something(s) new to which we can look forward

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Around here (as it's winter, and the ticks/snakes/poison ivy/heat are all down), I've been converting more messy thicket areas into park-like areas, putting the crap (from sticker-vines up to epic stumps) cut out of the thickets into washes to stop erosion, cross-fencing, building a new bigger dog run, fencing in a new pasture for Mrs. bloke' animals, a new/better chicken coop, blah, blah, and blah-blah-blah. ...oh, and (nothing that deserves a medal, but...) after all these years, I just taught myself how to do a really good sharpening job on a chainsaw with a 3/16" round file...25°...knock off the burr...and all that jazz (vs. "that machine" they use, which overheats the teeth, and ruins the temper of the steel).

Musical toys-wise, I've (well-documented here) recently built myself a cimbasso that pleases me, and I'm souping up a major-brand German "bariton" (aka "tenor tuba") that has captured my imagination. Today, a handsome adjustable thumb ring assembly for the "bariton" arrived in the mail from Germany. I'm also sorting through other personal instruments to (per the blokerule) decide if anything has collected enough dust to define offering anything personally owned up for sale.

Business-wise, we're exploring some new mouthpiece options, and exploring the feasibility of new ways of making a few of them more accessible to more people.

Musically, (in addition to the band the plays on Saturdays on the cruise ships) a new jazz band has formed. None of us are spring chickens, but (in my view) it will consist of the best clarinet/sax, trumpet/vocals, piano, tenor guitar/banjo, and :oops: tuba/valve-trombone player in the area...and we have our first (hopefully, will become "regular") gig slated in about a month. (Hey, I might even drag the bass out, after all these years). A couple of bonuses are that (since we're so familiar with each other) no rehearsals will be necessary and (well...) it's a weekly Sunday brunch at a country club, and they always serve to-die-for cold smoked salmon. :shock: There's also a chamber music concert scheduled in a couple of months (completely different folks, obviously: note-readers) that will prominently feature the cimbasso.

I'm also looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends - and making new ones - at the Army Conference, again this year.

:idea: :arrow: I think it's REALLY important (for good mental health) to have things to which we can LOOK FORWARD :!: :tuba:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: We always need something(s) new to which we can look for

Postby hrender » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm

bloke wrote: :idea: :arrow: I think it's REALLY important (for good mental health) to have things to which we can LOOK FORWARD :!: :tuba:

+1
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 pm

8)
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bort » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:21 pm

You and your proper grammar!
B&S 4198 (PT-7P) <-- For sale!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91221
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby roughrider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 am

I have been looking forward to joining a brass band for several years and tonight was the first rehearsal with the group. I know many of these folks as they play in multiple groups like myself. I was very warmly introduced and welcomed to the group and found that the sound of a brass band was even better inside of the group than sitting in the audience listening. I have a folder full of new music to learn and want to do very well at it as my high school band teacher from over forty years ago is playing Eb tuba next to me! Bloke is correct, we always need something to which we can look forward. Great post, Bloke!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
roughrider
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

roughrider wrote:I have been looking forward to joining a brass band for several years and tonight was the first rehearsal with the group. I know many of these folks as they play in multiple groups like myself. I was very warmly introduced and welcomed to the group and found that the sound of a brass band was even better inside of the group than sitting in the audience listening. I have a folder full of new music to learn and want to do very well at it as my high school band teacher from over forty years ago is playing Eb tuba next to me!

8)
bloke

Postby Billy M. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:57 am

bloke wrote:
Business-wise, we're exploring some new mouthpiece options, and exploring the feasibility of new ways of making a few of them more accessible to more people.

Ok, Bloke. Besides the possibility of the new 32.9 rim, are you looking to introduce new cups?
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Miraphone 1291 CC
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Postby WC8KCY » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:25 am

bloke wrote: it's a weekly Sunday brunch at a country club, and they always serve to-die-for cold smoked salmon. :shock:

Uhh, are you looking for more musicians, by any chance?

Asking for a friend.
euphonium - E-flat tuba - BB-flat tuba - double bass - electric bass - clarinet
WC8KCY
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet