What make is this tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

What make is this tuba?

Post by Gus_Pratt »

I purchased a tuba off of eBay that came from Germany. I'm trying to figure out what brand it is. When I search photos off of the net I come to the conclusion that it may be an Alexander or an Alexander copy. The bracing looks a lot like Alexander as does the Mouthpiece receiver and brace. The mouthpiece receiver is a larger one. My American Vincent Bach shank goes so far in that it almost won't fit. The other unusual thing about it is the 4th valve is not a perfect fourth, but is a Major third. I've been told that the early Alexanders used a 4th valve with the major third rather than perfect fourth. Hopefully the link to photos works.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFAr9oxJquhdDJG67" target="_blank
Last edited by Gus_Pratt on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Re: What make is this tuba?

Post by Gus_Pratt »

I also forgot to mention that there are no markings on the tuba anywhere, and no kranz. And that it is a 3/4 tuba. The bore is rather small measuring only about .675.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

the elephant wrote:Your link does not work, Gus.
I probably have to change security settings, because they show up for me.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

the elephant wrote:Your link does not work, Gus.
I changed it to a shared folder, and provided a new link. Does the new link work?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFAr9oxJquhdDJG67" target="_blank
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

the elephant wrote:Yes, now they work. I do not think this is an Alexander. They branded all their work, and the braces do not look at all like those on my old Alexander. I can post photos of that horn, but it looks just like any 163 you can find in a Google image search. I think that horn is Czech. But I am no expert. Good luck!
That's interesting, because I look at the style of the braces I see them looking exactly alike. I upload a picture of the main tuning slide brace of an Alex (photo 1) and compare it to the main tuning slide brace (last photo) of my horn, and I think they are identical.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

I was well aware that it was not a 163, 164 or 173. The one thing that intrigues me is the Major third 4th valve. At first it was difficult to get used to because I was trying to play C and F as 2+4, then it dawn on me just to tune the third valve to low C being played 1+3.. Db and Gb are played with the 4th valve. After inspection of tubas on the net, I think it is actually a tuba made by Hess. I saw an Eb by Hess from 1935-1940 that has the same braces, spit valve assembly, thumb ring, harness hooks, etc. Almost a perfect match. The article I saw said that the Hess tubas were built by a person who had left Alexander and went on to work for Hess. Hess made instruments on the border of East Germany and Czechoslovakia. As far as markings, I suspect there was probably a garland ring that was once removed. There is signs are extensive repair done on this tuba, so it would not surprise if the bell had been damaged at one time, that the garland would've been removed. In any case, I am satisfied with the tuba, considering I paid less then $500 (and that included shipping from Germany).
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Most importantly- how does it play?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Heavy_Metal wrote:Most importantly- how does it play?

It plays great. It has a real sweet tone, especially in the upper register. Easy to overblow though. Valves are definitely not quick, but OK for what most people play.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

The shorter-length 4th valve tubing was not uncommon from the late 19th Century through the beginning of the 20th Century The newest instrument I know of with that set-up is Bill Bell's H.N. White King F-tuba, built prior to H.N. White's death in 1940. It was a 2-3 combination equivalent, as I remember. It seems that at least one of Fred Geib's Sander CC tubas had the 2-3 length 4th valve circuit, and Auguste Helleberg may have used that set-up as well.

There were a number of small makers in Bohemia, Germany, and Austria that could have made an instrument like yours. If it was completely unmarked, it would be more likely that it was one of the many instruments made for later stamping/engraving as "Stencil" instruments, and most of them were made by the large makers, most notably in Graslitz. Amati could make a virtually-identical instrument to that today.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Looks very similar to my 1935 Franz Schediwy. Not twins or anything but could be cousins. :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/UhxofseZLkNkCuLd9" target="_blank"
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

edsel585960 wrote:Looks very similar to my 1935 Franz Schediwy. Not twins or anything but could be cousins. :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/UhxofseZLkNkCuLd9" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Particular similar are the S linkage arm decorations.