Double buzz on BB-flat tubas, but not on Eefers

The bulk of the musical talk
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Double buzz on BB-flat tubas, but not on Eefers

Post by WC8KCY »

Ever since grade 9 in high school, I've had issues with double buzz on BB-flat tubas. When I made the switch to big E-flat tubas as my primary instruments in '09, I never had any trouble with double buzzing.

Since acquiring a BB-flat tuba in October, the double buzz has come back with a vengeance. This is using the same mouthpieces I used without issue on E-flat (PT-62 and Bach-copy Holton 12), as well as with the Schilke 66 that I just acquired. Tonight, the double buzz set in at about 45 minutes into a rehearsal, and I sort of got it under control by using a "toe" syllable when tonguing.

What gives? We're playing literature this season that pretty much demands a contra; otherwise I'd just deploy the eefer and resolve the double buzz on BB-flat at my leisure. I never get double buzz on trumpet, cornet, horn, or euph, just contrabass tuba.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Double buzz on BB-flat tubas, but not on Eefers

Post by Doug Elliott »

Double buzz is caused by instability in the embouchure. Something about the formation is right on the edge between stable and unstable, and the lower pitch instrument pushes it over the edge.

It could be something as simple as the BBb tuba causes you to hold it differently that creates the wrong angle to your face. You may need to firm your corners differently or pull your bottom lip in slightly to keep it in better control. And not just on the problem notes, it's likely more of an overall situation that only shows up on certain notes.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Hey, guys, thanks for helping me think through this.

It occurs to me that the double buzz happens almost exclusively on two pitches: open B-flat below and within the staff. Perhaps using 1-2-4/2-3 for those pitches would bust up that double buzz if it kicks in.

Obviously, these aren't both open notes on E-flat, hence a double buzz on open B-flat can't happen on an Eefer. But, I've never had it happen on B-flats fingered 1-3, either.

Prior to posting this, I did a Search of TubeNet and noted bloke's recommendation in other double-buzz posts to take a break. I've been testing a wide range of mouthpieces on all of my tubas and perhaps the new and unfamiliar cup diameters and rim profiles strained something. I'll give the ol' bass horns a break for a few days and see what happens.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I'm an expert only on my own double buzz problems that were caused entirely by having a wrong angle and not using enough air. Fixing both fixed the double buzz, which happened when I was learning a larger instrument than my usual.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I'm thinking along the lines Mary Ann is taking but there are several potential causes.

Could it be that the Eb tuba and the BBb change the angle of the mouthpiece on your embouchure? More pressure on one side or the other - or top/bottom - effectively inhibits the muscles where the excess pressure is. That can cause a multitude of issues.

Mr. Jacobs said that double buzzes are cause by an insufficient air flow but I would have to be next to you to make that determination.

Good luck tackling this, it can be fixed.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.