First time with my Eb in Public.

The bulk of the musical talk
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

First time with my Eb in Public.

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Again I am just a hack with a love of making noise, and a small collection of tubas. Three of which are tuned to Eb. I need to find myself on them as my ears tell me that I am fingering wrong. Once I have switched my ears, I can noodle along just fine all by myself. So I decided to take my Eb recording bell York to the Blues Jam class. Also brought a finger chart to refer to. Hey, all I need is the fingering for three notes for the blues. I did not get to feeling good enough to take a solo but as the only horn amongst twenty amped guitars I held my own, providing some rich color to the bottom of the cords and good syncopated rhythms to drive the music forward. Switch to my tenor sax for the second haft of class to play some solos. I received high compliments on my playing and musicianship as we broke up after class. Now I want to make a bell cover that looks like a blue berry warring shade with maybe a hat cocked to one side for the upcoming jams. Kind of like the "cool emogie".

Now I need to get my ears comfortable with the Eb fingering to rip out some solo,
Charlie C. Chowder
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Re: First time with my Eb in Public.

Post by MaryAnn »

When I learned Eb fingerings a couple years ago, I did what I usually do which is play everything I can find by ear. Starting with Christmas carols in all keys. Works like gangbusters. So have at it!
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

MaryAnn wrote:When I learned Eb fingerings a couple years ago, I did what I usually do which is play everything I can find by ear. Starting with Christmas carols in all keys. Works like gangbusters. So have at it!
I did the same when moving from BB-flat to E-flat nearly 10 years ago. Was nailing almost everything by day three.

Hang in there! Mastering E-flat (and/or F) opens up a wealth of interesting possibilities.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

WC8KCY wrote:[Mastering E-flat (and/or F) opens up a wealth of interesting possibilities.
Yes, indeed mind expanding in a good way I am finding.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I remember my first Eb experience was about a week after I got mine.....I had walked into the community orchestra that I really wanted to play in, talked to the tuba player whom I knew slightly, and told him if he ever needed a sub I was interested. He said, "Can you come next Tuesday?" and of course I said yes and went home and xeroxed all the music and wrote in the fingerings on the xeroxes. After the rehearsal I was told I was the new tuba player. Talk about trial by fire....isn't it fortunate that your chops can still play the notes the way they know them, and it is only the fingers that have to do something new!
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I just took my Eb Helicon to the Blues Jam this time. I realize when I found some old scotch tape still on it that is has been hanging for a long time. I last used it at a Clown convention in a group parade ability competition. Having won this event's "People's Choice" award several years running with clowns doing a routine with purple toilet plungers, I keeping time with my tuba, another alley (i.e. club) brought a lot of people to vote for their entry. They bragged about it to me. I decide to add a surprise to the much seen routine by adding a foam toilet sit over the bell of the Helicon. At a given signal, the other clowns broke out of formation and huddled together in fear as "Briny The Clown" yells out "Its going to blow!". I would then let lose with the loudest, blattiest, low Eb and simultaneously pulled on the fishing line that popped open the toilet sit. The reaction was great.
They did win the "People's Choice" but we got Gold metal awarded by the judges. They got sliver. The guy who bragged so much how they were going to beat us, shook my hand on stage as I receive the gold and said "You still beat us".
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

bloke wrote:...I suppose I exhausted most of my thoughts/memories that are triggered when a topic such as "first time with my Eb tuba in public" is offered forth. :oops:

As seen, "Eb tuba" is a very important topic to me, and a very important part of my own life.
I own one CC and 2 Ebs. Need to get the smaller Eb to you for repair work. :tuba: If you've got time.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Charlie C Chowder wrote:I just took my Eb Helicon to the Blues Jam this time. I realize when I found some old scotch tape still on it that is has been hanging for a long time. I last used it at a Clown convention in a group parade ability competition. Having won this event's "People's Choice" award several years running with clowns doing a routine with purple toilet plungers, I keeping time with my tuba, another alley (i.e. club) brought a lot of people to vote for their entry. They bragged about it to me. I decide to add a surprise to the much seen routine by adding a foam toilet sit over the bell of the Helicon. At a given signal, the other clowns broke out of formation and huddled together in fear as "Briny The Clown" yells out "Its going to blow!". I would then let lose with the loudest, blattiest, low Eb and simultaneously pulled on the fishing line that popped open the toilet sit. The reaction was great.
They did win the "People's Choice" but we got Gold metal awarded by the judges. They got sliver. The guy who bragged so much how they were going to beat us, shook my hand on stage as I receive the gold and said "You still beat us".
As a member of the infamous Scottville Clown Band, I salute you.

We no longer do parades in Traverse City, Michigan due to a mishap with the giant plunger used as a staff by our ringleader. Someone got it stuck on a huge storefront window, which shattered as the plunger was removed...