Response Problems

The bulk of the musical talk
jjelwood
bugler
bugler

Response Problems

Post by jjelwood »

Good Evening,

I had a tooth filled nearly 2 years ago. Following the procedure, the bottom left side of my bottom lip was numb. I continued to play, but I was unable to play below the staff beyond D-flat on a good day. I can play from the bottom of the staff up fairly consistently, but I am still unable to get notes below the staff to speak. After playing for a bit, I have been losing response in all registers. This total loss is new. I have no pain or numbness. I use a Schilke-Helleberg II mouthpiece on a Meinl-Weston 2145. If anyone has any ideas, please share. I play in a wind band and I don’t want my playing days to be over.

Thank You,

Jerry
MW 2145
Schilke-Helleberg II
Loud LM-7 (Laskey Rim)
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Response Problems

Post by TheTuba »

^^^^
I don't think this is a tooth problem, this sounds too serious
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I'm not doc, but that does sound pretty serious. I agree with Steve - you should make a trip to the doc.
Don't want to scare you, but it almost sounds like some kind of nerve damage or possible Focal dystonia.

This makes me nervous as I've been putting off getting several cavities I have drilled & filled (dental work = expen$ive).
:?
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I agree a) nerve damage (which likely is permanent given when the injury was) or b) dystonia, which is extremely knotty to fix. Neurologist would be able to diagnose the former, but the latter IMO you are better off getting someone like Jan Kagarice to diagnose it.
What happens if you slide the mouthpiece to the side that was not numbed up? Can you use that portion of your chops, however weird it may feel?