Any thoughts on the Yamaha YCB-822 CC?

The bulk of the musical talk
Fry
lurker
lurker

Any thoughts on the Yamaha YCB-822 CC?

Post by Fry »

I'm searching for CC tubas for college and I am a big fan of Yamaha and I was wondering on anyone's opinion.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Any thoughts on the Yamaha YCB-822 CC?

Post by Alex C »

You should talk to the person who teaches tuba at the college you are considering before you buy a tuba. That recommendation should mean something to you because you are going to entrust your learning to that person for the next four years.

IMHO, the YCB-822 is a fine playing horn. Yamaha brass get criticized by a lot of people for not having a rich sound. The difference between the standard Miraphone 186 and the Yamaha are very different. Many other things to consider, talk to the tuba teacher.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Under rated, well built, sound great out front. Over priced new. Some deals to be had used occasionally.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

MikeMason wrote:Under rated, well built, sound great out front. Over priced new. Some deals to be had used occasionally.
Word :!:

We're I looking to buy a 4/4 piston CC tuba, I would seriously look into the YCB-822. I've heard some pretty great sounds from that model :tuba:
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

In the Moondance video with Warren Deck, Harvey Phillips, Dan Perantoni, and Roger Bobo, Deck was playing an borrowed 822, and man, what a sound. Then again, he's Warren Deck.

I played one once for a grand total of 5 minutes, and was very impressed with the response and ease of playing in all registers. But to say the least, that doesn't make me an expert.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Good tuba, very American sound. Kind of a big 4/4. Intonation isn't perfect, but not bad either. I think the high initial price makes these less common instruments.
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

The university where I teach (adjunct...) purchased one several years back to supplement the herd of BBb Miraphone 186's that are available for students that don't have their own horns (...most of them...). I can confirm the previous comments: underrated, overpriced, solidly built, a couple of intonation issues (low F# MUST be played 2,3 & 5 or 2&4 sounds a flat G when tuned for C#). But (purchased used in the $5k to $6k range...) they are a solid choice for a 4/4 CC that can be played in a range of settings--band, orchestra, quintet, & recitals. Students that have used this one really like the playing experience--good response, smooth valve action, a bit easier than the 186s to "steer" in the range above F in the staff... The difference that I hear in the hall really depends on the player more than the horn. Given the choice though, I prefer playing my PT4P as I think it has a more even response top-to-bottom (I find the 822 stuffy below about low A).
Two parting points: (1) piston valves in general need daily oiling--a former student's neglect resulted in a re-lapping of the valves after only two years' (mis)use; and (2) if you've decided on a school, defer to your teacher's suggestions of instrument choice.
As an aside: we have 2 90's era 186-S models, one 10-year old Miraphone and one early 70's era Mirafone 186. I prefer the feel and sound of the MiraFone above the others. I think that there's something about that older horn that just feels better than those newer horns. Whether it's "those" older horns or "that" older horn...I can't really say with a sample set of n=1.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Alex C wrote:You should talk to the person who teaches tuba at the college you are considering before you buy a tuba. That recommendation should mean something to you because you are going to entrust your learning to that person for the next four years.

IMHO, the YCB-822 is a fine playing horn. Yamaha brass get criticized by a lot of people for not having a rich sound. The difference between the standard Miraphone 186 and the Yamaha are very different. Many other things to consider, talk to the tuba teacher.
+1.

Your tuba teacher should have a model or models that they both recommend AND have a clear understanding on managing the various quirks and faults inherent in the instrument(s). They'll be able to help you more quickly master a horn that they're intimately familiar with themselves--you won't have to figure it all out on your own.

You're paying for this expertise; take full advantage of it.
mjrctuba
bugler
bugler

Post by mjrctuba »

I owned a Yamaha 822 CC in the mid 1990s. It was a really great playing horn. There were Holton owners that played that horn and said it blew as well as theirs.
That being said, it is true that they are fragile horns. I am pretty careful with my horns, so that wasn't an issue for me.
Also, the 822 CC was less expensive in comparison to other horns back then. For today's price of an 822, there are a lot of horns available.
The best thing to do is play as many horns as you can get your hands on and find the one that sits well with you, blows cleanly, and has good intonation, regardless of brand. At least that's my humble opinion.
I really did like that 822, though.
Michael R. Cavitt
President, KentuckyJam.org
Tuba: Ohio Military Band, Cincinnati Civic Orchestra, Vereins-Musikanten
http://www.kentuckyjam.org" target="_blank
http://www.tubadad.com" target="_blank
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

I was not fond of how I had to position my hand on the valves. It felt awkward. But maybe that's just me, or maybe they changed the angles.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

GC wrote:In the Moondance video with Warren Deck, Harvey Phillips, Dan Perantoni, and Roger Bobo, Deck was playing an borrowed 822, and man, what a sound. Then again, he's Warren Deck.
Yeah, I was alluding to that in my initial post. I remember the Moondance/1990 TUBA Japan vid on YT. Luckily someone saved the audio file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07i600shlmveg ... 9.m4a?dl=0
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68918&p=564942&hili ... ce#p564942

I really dig Deck's sound on that borrowed 822 CC -- it's like a growling tiger on loud parts, and warm on quiet parts :tuba: 8)
Also, I believe Chuck D. of Canadian Brass used a 4v version (custom?) of the Yammy 822 CC through much of the 1990s. I liked his sound best on that model of all tubas he has used in that group over the years :!:

As for the high (new) price; yeah they are overpriced new......as are all new German & Swiss tubas.
They are all crazy expensive :!:
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

I owned one as my first CC tuba in college. I loved the sound and the way it played. Only thing I say is you will be moving the first valve slide consistently to play in tune. One of the nearby colleges played three of them in their wind ensemble and it still is one of my favorite section sounds I've heard in wind band. For those who talk negatively of them, use your own judgement. Also, keep in mind what it will be used for when making the decision what to buy. Just my 2 cents!
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams