Wessex Anton CC Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Levi12345
lurker
lurker

Wessex Anton CC Tuba

Post by Levi12345 »

Have any of you guys heard good things about the Wessex Anton CC? My school is looking to get two CC tubas and these are in the price range.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex Anton CC Tuba

Post by jeopardymaster »

My advice: forget it. Looks like it ought to be a good horn, but the one I tried was terrible. Valves were junk, ergonomics bad, intonation and response erratic as hell. I drove over 400 miles round trip to try the Anton CC and the Danube rotary Eb, was totally let down by them. Stick to their piston models, but stay away from their rotors. Sorry.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

I actually had the opposite experience, very responsive, plays in tune, big sound (tried it in orchestra). I didn't feel the instrument ergonomically incorrect to my posture or body, having owned a Berg I can agree that their rotary system still needs improvement, but if you take care of the instrument it will not fail you.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote:Pretty sure Jonathan said they are discontinuing the line though
Will be later in the year. Wessex can’t keep on adding new tubas to the range without making room by discontinuing some too.

The Anton is no where near as popular as the piston valve Wyvern, but my personal experience is that it plays well enough. I used for a concert playing Prokofiev 5 and the Anton’s sound got complimented by the professional conductor.