DILLON DBB-1284 ?

The bulk of the musical talk
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

DILLON DBB-1284 ?

Post by WakinAZ »

https://www.dillonmusic.com/dillon-dbb- ... -case.html
Anyone played it? Looks like a hybrid of a GR51 (bore), 191 (bell) and something else (4th valve wrap, American-ish)?
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: DILLON DBB-1284 ?

Post by Matt Walters »

The Dillon DBB-1284 is a 6/4 sized BBb tuba much bigger than the GR51 or even GR55. Think 6/4 Nirschl CC bell and bottom bow put to an in-tune BBb tuba priced for the Average Joe to enjoy. Mark is correct that I'll have one (plus an extra) there at the 2019 Army Tuba-Euphonium Workshop.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Similar to Fafner at all? The angled front photo is hard to tell the actual shape size (for me, at least)
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Thank you Matt for your input. Agree with bort, a straight on photo of the front would help. Also any side by side with a horn we're all familiar with might help as well. How long has this been out?
Eric "average" L.
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Another question for Matt: the listing on your site says it takes an American shank mouthpiece. Are we talking the smaller Bach/Conn Helleberg type shank?

If so, why this choice vs. the more common/modern European size shank? I just went through this with an older East German horn, and while it's manageable, It's kind of a hassle and limits your choices.
-Eric
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Why do you think the European shank is more common in America?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

A lot of questions about this new DBB-1284 tuba. Keep in mind that my goal in finding this tuba is to get an adult community band player a modestly priced, easy playing big BBb tuba that gives the sound of the very expensive 6/4 CC tubas. The TubeNet Community is full of a lot of people offering suggestions on how something should have been done instead. It reminds me of the Car Magazines that universally say something like: "Gee, if they just put an extra 100 horsepower and 20% more torque in the engine, more expensive and fatter rims/tires, tweak the suspension, use better quality interior materials, extend the wheelbase, change out all the sheet metal for a lower sleeker look so that only smaller athletes can climb in, and add more electronic gizmos, they'd have a winner in this mid-priced sedan."

1) About the pictures. They are taken on an iPad dialed into our website etc. Don't ask me computer stuff. Anyway, we don't have the space to set up a studio just for tubas to stand on the bell. Remember we sell hundreds of other stuff to each one tuba so while everything else can stand up and trombones lay down in the limited white area we can spare for photos, tubas have to lay down. Because of the bell, tubas won't lay down flat, Jake tries to make the pictures show as much detail as he can. I'm not a photographer so that is my limited knowledge understanding. Take a look at the third photo that shows the tuba from behind to get a good profile of the bell.
2) This tuba is the same size as the 6/4 York style CC tubas. So it's even a little fatter in the throat than a MW Fafner BBb tuba.

3) Bore size is smaller than a Fafner or the other big European Rotor BBb tubas. That means the blow style is more like the .750" bore piston 6/4 CC tubas. You just lay back and take it easy with slower air in the low register for best results. You won't have to blow chunks of lung through it just to get a full sound. If you try that, the horn will feel stuffy.

4) Standard American shank receiver seems to work just fine on this horn. The average adult community band player plays a standard American shank receiver mouthpiece like a Bach or Conn. If you own a larger Euro shank mouthpiece, give it a try. You might like the way this horn plays on what you already have.

5) 4 rotors on a BBb tuba are enough for the majority of adult community band players. Lacquer is cheaper and looks nicer longer with less work for an adult community band player who has other things to do with his/her spare time. Not everyone wants an to spend extra money for an extra couple pounds of seldom if ever used brass (5th rotor assembly) on their lap.

6) Pro and semi-pro CC players that want to add a modestly priced big BBb tuba to the arsenal for something that is only going to get occasional use, will also love this tuba.

Anyone looking for a really big, great sounding, 4 valve BBb tuba that is surprisingly easy and fun to play and is within the budget of an Average Joe, should give this tuba a play. No one tuba is perfect for every player.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

:tuba:
Last edited by groth on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks Matt. Always appreciate the directness of your responses.

Will a CC version be coming next year?

(Joking!!)
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

I spent a good amount of time on one at the conference and was quite pleased with the sound. All in all, it was also quite easy to play. My only suggestion to Matt was that the valves are a bit slow. He mentioned different springs would help. Otherwise, it’s a great deal!
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I was at Dillon's today. I didn't play this horn, but some other guy in the room did. He noodled on it for 5 minutes then asked Matt to pack it up and paid cash for it right then and there. Don't know if that anecdote was helpful, but that's all I got.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band