Good Substitute for "LOUD(C)" Mouthpiece?

The bulk of the musical talk
Sous-Chef-Phone
bugler
bugler

Good Substitute for "LOUD(C)" Mouthpiece?

Post by Sous-Chef-Phone »

I have a tuba player friend who owns a Loud mouthpiece (which, to remind everyone, is a specific brand that's especially lowercase-loud), and when I tried it out I was shocked by how much of a difference it made. The only mouthpieces I've ever owned were a Kellyberg and a Bach 18, and while I'm an extremely small-time tuba hobbyist, I'm wondering if it's time to up my game. I mostly play sousaphone in a small pep band, so getting a huge sound could be really awesome for outdoor gigs.

Unfortunately, the Loud mouthpieces are now untenably expensive due to the personal issues that plagued the original maker. Does anyone have any recommendations for a substitute mouthpiece that would be appropriate for someone of my playing experience?
My horn: Jupiter 378 BBb 3/4 Tuba, 3 valves
Currently borrowing: Martin Elkhart BBb 4/4 Tuba, 3 valves, silver-plated brass
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Good Substitute for "LOUD(C)" Mouthpiece?

Post by Donn »

I'm going to be no help in any case, having never played one (but I think I can predict the responses will be along the general lines of "I play X, it's great!". So ... if it's of any interest to you whether I like my mouthpiece, let me know!) But in case anyone really has a valid answer, I think it's sure to depend on which Loud mouthpiece you played. There were several models. If you could get that detail from your friend, that will help a lot.
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

There are 2 on ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0" target="_blank" target="_blank

I use them and I really like them! I use the LM10 with my Neptune, Lm9 and LM15 with my Fossi F tuba and LM4 with my 4/4 Sonora CC, LM27 with the Courtois Euphonium. They are really well made It is a shame they went out of production.

But as stated before, there were various and I think most of them were based on another mouthpieces, for example the LM9 on an old Tilz/Rudy 9 (similar to the Perantucci 64. The LM4 similar to the Perantucci 88 and so on. So It would be very helpful to know wich one was the supposed game changer to you.

Best :tuba: ,
Jose
Some stuff
Sous-Chef-Phone
bugler
bugler

Post by Sous-Chef-Phone »

Thanks so much for the advice! (Really sorry for delay, I had an extremely busy weekend.) I still need to hear back from my friend about which number he uses; sorry that this question was asked from a state of inadequate information. He says he thinks it might be the LM-12 but he's not sure...

eBay is a very good point; I often troll Craigslist for local tuba-related sellers but forgot to check other second-hand sources.
My horn: Jupiter 378 BBb 3/4 Tuba, 3 valves
Currently borrowing: Martin Elkhart BBb 4/4 Tuba, 3 valves, silver-plated brass
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Ah. Especially loud, good for sousaphone players - that adds up, sure it's probably an LM12. Kind of a special effects mouthpiece, unusually shallow. I'd be surprised if there's anything like it, but you might be able to find something that with a little work could be as good - and more versatile. Marcinkiewicz standard mouthpiece N4 might be something to consider. I've never seen one, and I'm sure it isn't as shallow as the LM12 - they say 1.352" for the N4, for what it's worth.
E. Green
bugler
bugler

Good Heavy-Style mouthpieces

Post by E. Green »

Sous-Chef,

Seems Bob Tucci is working on a new line called SOUSAPOWER, all heavy-shell such as the RT-50+ and RT-88+. His web site is down at this time, marked "Under construction". Baltimore Brass, Chris Hite at Buddy Robers etc have the new models.

Eugene
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

What the LM12 looks like:

... from an older thread here LM-7 vs LM-12 mouthpiece

That Marcinkiewicz N4 is similar width, but naturally not as shallow -
tubatom124
lurker
lurker

Post by tubatom124 »

Not-so-shameless-plug, but if you're committed to a Loud mouthpiece, I have one for sale over on the for sale by owner forums. They're great mouthpieces, especially on sousaphone as a step away from the Bach 18 standard beginner. Good luck!