Miraphone gig bag vs Glenn Chronkhite

The bulk of the musical talk
pakins51
bugler
bugler

Miraphone gig bag vs Glenn Chronkhite

Post by pakins51 »

I have a 5v BBb Miraphone 1291 and I’m trying to decide between getting a Glenn Chronkhite or Miraphone gig bag for it. Have any of you had experiences with both of these bags to compare them, or had experience with either of these bags with the same horn?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Miraphone gig bag vs Glenn Chronkhite

Post by Sousaswag »

Both are great. I had a Miraphone euphonium bag before I sold it with that horn and I loved it. The tuba bags that I've seen seem to be the same quality. And for $350 they're a steal. I'd go with that.

That said, I got an older Cronkhite with my new 1293. Love it. I like that I don't have to lift the horn up high to get it in and out, and it's a very comfortable bag, but at the prices the new ones are at, I don't think it's worth it, especially when the horn in question is a Miraphone.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

djwpe wrote:I had a miraphone bag for my Hagen, and had an issue when putting the horn into the bag where I lost my hold, and put it down hard on the bottom bow (inside the bag) resulting in a dent. I replaced the bag with a Cronkhite because loading into the miraphone bag was very awkward.
I have had the opposite experience. I use the Miraphone bag for my B&S 3301. The bag stays wide open and I easy lower the horn in or lift it out. No hassle. I have used (for other horns; not the B&S) Cronkhite, RB San Francisco, and Protec side-loaders and they were all a pain to get the horn OUT. Going in is fine; coming out is a real hassle...
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

Perhaps the Mira bag is better for shorter tubas that don't need to be lifted so high to get it in.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I like the Miraphone bag better in every way, except for the bright blue color.

Cronkhite bags are still nice, but an open side-loading bag takes up a crapload of floor space. Also, I have always thought the accessory pouch on the front of the bags looks very frumpy, especially on the leather bags. And for walking long distances, the Cronkhite bag just sits too low to be comfortable. Walking through NYC with Cronkhite bag was a chore.

The Miraphone bag sits higher, and has a built in chest clip on the straps, and is far more comfortable.

All personal preference!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

PS -- the only bag that I've ever felt was truly awkward is Alteiri... that drawstring wants to get caught on everything!
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Altieri would be... okay. I had one with my first tuba. The best thing about it was the color and how it rode higher than any other bag, and was very comfortable to walk with until I came across a low doorway. Go with the Miraphone, or consider a bag from Messina Covers. Much less expensive than a new Cronkhite.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Diego A. Stine
bugler
bugler

Post by Diego A. Stine »

I would personally go with a Miraphone bag, as they are cheaper, just as snug, and well-made. I'm not really a fan of Altieri bags, they just look like sleeping bags to me (apologies to anyone who owns one).
Plus, you don't have to lower your horn into the bag with a top-loader. Just place your horn on its bell and slip the bag over it, then grab the bell (and the bag), flip it around, and zip it shut.
^Grabbing both is important, I've heard stories of people not doing this and having their horn slide out of their bag.
Diego Stine
Gronitz PCK
B&S 3099/W/2