What kind of mouthpieces do you guys prefer? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: What kind of mouthpieces do you guys prefer?

Postby Matt Walters » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:07 pm

20 years ago I settled in on a great sounding mouthpiece that is very comfortable for me to play. I hope to master that mouthpiece in the next 20 years via my 20 minutes of practice each month. If I'm still playing 20 years from now, I'll think about a smaller tuba that works well with the mouthpiece I already like. You mouthpiece junkies are blowing the tuba from the wrong end.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Postby Mark E. Chachich » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:32 pm

I have played a Bach 7 since 1983. It does what I need it to do and I see no reason to change mouthpieces.

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Donn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:12 am

You two are really missing out on one of life's pleasures. Live a little - get a Kellyberg or something!
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby toobagrowl » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:34 pm

I have found over the years that I prefer bowl mpcs -- medium or shallow depth, medium-ish opening/width. The backbore varies, as does the rim. But I generally like a 'cushion' rim because the sharp rims hurt my lips after a while. In short, it depends on the tuba I'm playing. But I have a couple Yamaha mpcs that I use regularly, as well as a PT-68 (no longer made model) that I like a lot. The PT-68 is a great all-around bowl mpc that I can use on all my tubas -- it has a slightly brighter, yet more mellow & refined sound compared to the old standard Bach 18. In the recent Kaiser thread, I have found my old Schilke 69C4 with/drilled-out backbore to work well on my Kaiser BBb. The cushion rim is kinda wide, though.
I have other mpcs that I use every now-and-then.

So for me, medium & shallow bowl mpcs with a cushion rim and a decent-size diameter/opening give me the playability & sound I want :tuba:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Three Valves » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 am

Bach 24AW~Sounds great, too small
Bach 12~Much improved overall
Conn 120S~Sounds great, rim too flat/sharp
Faxx HB~Same as above, improved rim
RT44~Felt great, sound was off
RT50~Feels good, sounds good, too big

Mouthpiece shopping is just part of the fun!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:53 am

Matt Walters wrote:via my 20 minutes of practice each month.

I guess I'm one of those "fesshunulz" (plays for remuneration)...and I only typically practice stuff that I can't play without just showing up and playing it.
I don't recommend my own tack, but that's typically it. I just don't do "routines". (I guess I give myself permission to play OK whether-or-not I do them.)

I barely noticed (during a brass quintet rehearsal yesterday afternoon...which was right AFTER a 3-hour "dress" rehearsal, where I had played a lot - and high a lot - on every selection) when that Canadian Brass "Sheep May Safely Graze" transcription was pulled up, and someone wanted to play it crazy-slow...with articulations inserted, basically the equivalent of four or five minutes of "long tones"...

This could also actually be the case, though: I might (??) possibly do what others refer to as "practicing" more often that I realize...
...and - to the original topic - the mouthpieces I use make things as easy as possible, and (~the~ reason for using the particular ones that I use) I believe they help me to sound ~as if~ I run through daily "routines".
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby sugawi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Recently I have been reminding myself that I have to many mouthpieces and not enough time spent playing. So I took a tuba lesson from the best teacher I could find locally. He helped me choose one of many I had for now and set up practice plan, checked my embouchure, breathing, etc. which was priceless. Those who like me who don’t play enough but have too many mouthpieces need a reminder of how things went across the world back in a day in the USSR.
Here is a rough translation (with help of google translate) of interesting events on how tubas were chosen and an amazing skill blind person had to design a mouthpiece by feeling face and lips of a musician. I have read that there were several custom mouthpiece makers but non of them were allowed to leave their names or initials due to strict government laws.
In 1957, 9 tubas from the Leningrad factory of musical instruments were sent to the All-Union Competition of Musical Instruments. The competition was held in the State Academic Bolshoi Theater of the USSR - "behind the screen". On all 9 tubas played V.Dosadin. They selected 3 tubas. After the contest, one of these tubas was acquired by Big Symphony Orchestra, the other by performer himself and another by Bolshoi Theater. V.Dosadin played on his tuba throughout his entire performing activity and was very pleased with it. * The mouthpiece, in which V.N.Dosadin played for 30 years, was made back in his student years by Moscow master Samsonov. This master was blind and was not a musician, but he had such an extraordinary talent that he could, feeling the face and lips of the performer, then carve (handmade?) the mouthpiece, which exactly matched the musician.

http://www.tuba.org.ru/kniga20.php
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Tubaguyry » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Is your Wick of the Heritage series?
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Postby Stryk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:35 pm

A tuba mouthpiece
Terry Stryker
Alexander 163 BBb
Amati Kraslice 481 C
Mirafone 184 C
Mirafone186 C
Mirafone186 BBb
Lyon & Healy 1904 C
Kane Stealth C
Other non-descript tuba fodder
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby WC8KCY » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Stryk wrote:A tuba mouthpiece
+1

If I recall correctly, bloke has mentioned before that any given player tends to work best with either a bowl-shaped cup or a Helleberg-style funnel mouthpiece.

After acquiring a new tuba and going on a mouthpiece safari trying to match up a mouthpiece to it, I have to agree--it's bowl-shaped cups for me, all the way: A Bach-copy 12 on large-bore tubas, and a PT-62 on smaller-bore tubas.
euphonium - E-flat tuba - BB-flat tuba - double bass - electric bass - clarinet - organ
WC8KCY
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet