1291 CC Versatility?

The bulk of the musical talk
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I've had one since lasy July, and with my experiences, it's been very versatile. In my high school band, about 40 people, it cuts through very well. We made a very decent recording of one of our concerts, and the tuba blended very well. I've also done some quintet/brass ensemble playing with it, and i've asked people to listen, and they say it blends well in that setting. Finally, in All State orchestra this year, my friends in the audience, that they were amazed as to how well they could hear the tuba. I have yet to get that recording, so we'll see. So i would say it is a very versatile instrument. The only medium i haven't experienced with it yet is that of a recital setting. i imagine it would be awesome though.
TUBAMUSICIAN87
bugler
bugler

Post by TUBAMUSICIAN87 »

Ive had mine for a few months now and played in 2 community bands, brass quintet, and solo literature and it is extremely versitle. It has a big meaty sound that blends really nicely.
adam0408
3 valves
3 valves

Post by adam0408 »

forget versatility, you want raw volume all the time!!!!! Drown out the clarinets!!!!! :!::!::!::!::!: Drown out the out of tune trombone!!! Drown them all out and build your career!

:twisted:

I am joking of course
DaTubaKid
bugler
bugler

Miraphone 1291

Post by DaTubaKid »

My 1291 is my baby. I got a few months ago, and it just survived a month long tour with me to France and Germany. I think it plays like a dream. Couple with the Miraphone TU 31 mouthpiece, it has this huge sonorous dark sound that is just absolutely amazing. For quintet and solo playing, I switch to my Conn Helleberg mouthpiece, and that really gives the 1291 a lighter sound, and less enveloping. There are some intonation problems that I have had, but they are easily fixable. Low F sharp and F are a little sharp, but pulling out a little on the conveniently placed fourth valve slide works well. Everything below that I finger as if it were a half step lower. For example, I'd normally finger a low E as 1+2+4..but it sounds better in tune with 2+3+4. The first valve slide was really tight, and I am still working it in so that it moves smoothly. The second and the two third valve slides are very very loose. I can't even get the second to stay out. Not that It can very far in the first place, but I'm going to get that checked sometime, and some thick slide grease kept the thirds from falling out. But still an absolutely amazing sound. I highly recommend it.

Colby