Gig bag Fit -- This doesn't fit right?

The bulk of the musical talk
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Gig bag Fit -- This doesn't fit right?

Post by dopey »

Set of pics here: https://imgur.com/a/rZnenRV" target="_blank

I'd like to find a gig bag for my new Gnagey. Unless i'm wrong, the bags offered by Wessex are not ideal for a front action horn. I'd have to either let the valves rest against my back, or deal with an awkward load/unload sequence with the bag. I'm actually extremely paranoid about a gig bag for front action pistons.. My old 3+1 felt much 'safer' in a gig bag since the valves were protected by the horn itself.

I found this soundwear bag at a local shop and after a quick measurement/google bought it(Can return it if it doesn't work out).

I fear it doesn't fit, right?

My concerns:
The bell is very tight to squeeze in
Horn seems to end up at an angle once you do get it in.
Tuning slides would have pressure from how the bag closes
Valves would be depressed just closing the lid.
Gap/Space at bottom of bag.

I think my horn's bell is slightly too big, it's too short and too wide for this bag?

Just want to make sure i'm not crazy before returning it. Not much experience with gig bags.
DonnieMac
bugler
bugler

Re: Gig bag Fit -- This doesn't fit right?

Post by DonnieMac »

I have a Soundware gig bag for schlepping a Wilson 3050, a weighty tuba. The horn fit is OK. However, by reason of the gig baag’s design and construction it has been rightfully called “the gig bag from hell.” Screw with it and tear your hair out. You will not win.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Gig bag Fit -- This doesn't fit right?

Post by bort »

I can't tell you anything specific about the bag or the fit, but the answer is clear -- return it.

If a simple test of fit leaves you with this many concerns and questions, it's not worth it. Gig bags are supposed to be easy, so this sounds wrong in quite a few ways.