TMEA TUBA TIME

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: TMEA TUBA TIME

Post by Three Valves »

Is the Orange Dragon a plastic tuba??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

AH!! The ZO mini tuba.

I found that as awkward to hold as it is difficult to look at!! :tuba:
Last edited by Three Valves on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

In the same boat as your student, I kept going back and forth from the Packer 379BB and the Eastman EBB534.

I’m not looking for an “upgrade” as my Mackbrunner isn’t “holding me back” but I do want something lighter and more manageable.

If it happens to not break up so much in the higher ranges and extend a note or three below the fourth valve low F that would be nice too!! :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If I had the patience to learn Eb that would solve most of my problems!!
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I never have much to contribute to the playing tubas threads because, at these conferences, I don't play many. I spend a lot of time in the exhibit halls BS'ing with the tuba vendors, and other vendors where I know a few people from my NY teaching days. I like to check out performances too.

And, there are several tuba people on this board, who apparently were at TMEA and I don't know them. Ray mentioned a Tubenet dinner/gathering that was going to take place, but I already had dinner plans the evening. I wish I knew about it earlier.
I did see Wayne at the Miraphone booth and I planned to introduce myself, but when I turned to head there, he was gone, never to be seen by me again. I saw Mark and wanted to say hi, but he took off someplace. I know Ray and I were watching a tuba/euph quartet in the lobby area when he mentioned the Tubenet dinner to me. I would've liked to meet others of you Texas tuba people. After all, I'm a Texan now - a Texan who tawks with a NY accent.

Anyway, I played a few tubas. I was very impressed with the Eastman 4/4 CC that is a scaled down version of their 6/4 CC - same configuration. It has a larger bore than the original Eastman CC. It played well and very open. I felt I could really project on that tuba. It was a 4/4 on steroids.

For some reason, as I was walking along the back wall, I saw a black plastic BBb tuba at the JJMusical booth. I blew on it and it played OK. It only weighed 4 lbs. I asked them about a CC and they said they have one on their web site (JJmusical.com), but they didn't bring it. I checked their site when I got home and they do have a plastic CC. No prices on their site and I didn't think to ask at TMEA.

I played the Wessex 6/4 CC and I'm always surprised that this one and the Eastman aren't that heavy and aren't air hogs, for me. Not that I have any need or desire to own a 6/4 tuba, but they are both very nice tubas and some major pros are starting to play these.

I'll probably get back there again for TBA in July.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Yes, guys !! I think next year having the gathering in walking distance from the conference center would be a great idea. I had my car valet parked at the Hyatt. To get it out would have been a pain. There has got to be some decent places along the Riverwalk. Then again, Uber works too.