Conn/Kanstul Frankentuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Conn/Kanstul Frankentuba

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Well I purchased a Kanstul tuba that was missing the bell, and was thinking I would find a bell for it. However, my plans have changed. It was advertised as a BBb, but once I started playing it and compared it to other Kanstul tubas, I came to the conclusion it was actually a CC. The problem was I anticipated it was going to play a little flat, based on the fact that it was about 30 cents sharp, and it didn't have the bell yet. The additional 8" or so of length of the bell would have put it flat, but I could not find anywhere convenient that I could cut it. And originally I wasn't planning on cutting it. I figured if I was going to have to do cutting, and also find a bell, I might as well do a full fledged Frankentuba. A friend had a 20s Conn with a 22" bell, which had shot valves. So I've started on adding the valves to it. I still have to cut an additional 9" or so from it. 2" will be cut where the valves attach dropping the valves and leadpipe to a better position. The other 7" will be taken out of the first loop after the tuning slide (which Kanstul has on the back side). I've played it some and it is a sweet, agile horn. This will be a BBb. Although the valve section is a CC, I will just pull slide. There is plenty of slide length for this.

Update: I cut out the 9" out of the first loop, and it dropped the valves to a very aesthetic location. It now plays in tune, although it has the typical big Conn flat F partial.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... 0xR3RSVl93" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by Gus_Pratt on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Conn/Kanstul Frankentuba

Post by Tubajug »

Awesome! I love a good frankentuba! I also like your method of holding it together in the mock up stage.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.