Yamaha YFB 621 Ergonomics

The bulk of the musical talk
JasonV
bugler
bugler

Yamaha YFB 621 Ergonomics

Post by JasonV »

Has anyone else had an issue with the ergonomics of the Yamaha 621 F? I really like how the horn plays and I think it will fit the bill for what I need it to do, but the set up with the valves is cumbersome for me. I started to chalk it up to being used to playing a rotor (MF 186 C) for decades, but I don't feel like I have nearly the same dexterity on the Yamaha and my arm/wrist starts to hurt after extended practicing, whereas it never bothers me on the MF. Any solutions out there?

I'm considering parting with it for something different, but am afraid I won't find a horn I'll like as much. And I'm afraid something different could cost a lot more the this did new.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Venesky
Principal Tuba, Butler County Symphony Orchestra
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor, Grove City College
ECUorchbound
bugler
bugler

Re: Yamaha YFB 621 Ergonomics

Post by ECUorchbound »

Owned a YFB 621 for about 3 years before parting with it. I thought it was weird how the horn was set up. My hand would cramp pretty easily at first. But the longer I had the horn, the easier it got. I don’t have big hands by any means, so it may not work for some. With some time and patience, it turned out to be a great fit!

I really do miss that horn...
Jacob Daniel

Freelance Musician and Educator
B&S PT-6
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

maybe light springs and valve caps would make it easier to depress the valves? I used the yamaha ycb 621 in my time with blast and didnt notice any serious issues but then again, I play piston horns at home also, so maybe it was just a strength thing?
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

You may want to shoot Ron Davis (U of South Carolina) an email. I seem to remember him having some issues with the ergonomics of his YFB621 a few years ago. He still plays on it so, I assume he found a way to make it work.

DB
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I took off the thumb ring. Works for me.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

How about replacing the thumb ring with a thumb rest that doubles as a bottle opener??

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
benvas
bugler
bugler

Post by benvas »

I had one of these for a number of years. It bothered me how the valves curved in so much and I'd experience a good deal of wrist and forearm pain. My solution was to make sure to hold the tuba as close to straight up and down as I could so I wouldn't have to bend my wrist so much to reach the 4th valve. Good luck.
Ben Vasko
Boston, MA
http://www.benvasko.com
JasonV
bugler
bugler

Post by JasonV »

Thank you for your responses thus far. I've been trying them (and will try rigging to elevate it).
Jason Venesky
Principal Tuba, Butler County Symphony Orchestra
Tuba/Euphonium Instructor, Grove City College
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

Have you tried just rotating the horn some? If the bell is more straight up, the reach to the finger buttons is more straight for the hand. At least that's the way it is on the CC version.