Seeking advice

The bulk of the musical talk
acemorgan
bugler
bugler

Seeking advice

Post by acemorgan »

I need some advice. After decades as a tubist, I have decided to sell my horn and reemerge as euphonium player. I won’t go into the reasons here, but it is time. My problem is that I don’t have a clue what to ask for my tuba.

It is a BBb Miraphone 186. It was made in the mid-60s. It spent the first 30 years of its life doing time in the public school system, but has received good care for the subsequent 20 years.

I honestly don’t know if $200 is too high, or $2,000 is too low. Yes, I realize I have no pictures, but before I actually list it, I would like to know what a realistic ballpark price would be. It has a recording bell (I just heard the price drop in your collective minds), and has the typical usage dents from being a school horn. But it plays beautifully, and the valves and slides are smooth. It is not a “project horn,” but is a quite usable and satisfying instrument.

I want to use the sale proceeds to buy the euphonium. And no, I’m not looking at an Adams or a Willson.

I have tried looking for comparable tubas on the internet, to get a general price idea, but have been striking out.
So, it is not in mint condition, but on the other hand, it is not simply a parts source. What would be a realistic range from which to begin?

Thanks.
Last edited by acemorgan on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously:
Reynolds TB-14
Mirafone (yes, with an F) 186
Currently:
Wessex Dolce Tenor Tuba
acemorgan
bugler
bugler

Re: Seeking advice

Post by acemorgan »

I will, thanks.
Previously: