In praise of the Imperial Bb 3v Comps.

The bulk of the musical talk
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

In praise of the Imperial Bb 3v Comps.

Post by Peach »

These 3v Compensator Bb's just play so easily, both in response and pitch. The obvious glaring snag is the range stops at low E, with a gap (unless using false tones, which are useable on these) until the pedal Bb.
I'm wondering about using the 3v Imp in Orchestra in the summer (shock, horror). I've never heard of anyone doing this here in the UK but it must have happened sometime. Have any of you fine chaps had any experience with these with even a trombone section, never mind a full orchestra?
Thanks!
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Re: In praise of the Imperial Bb 3v Comps.

Post by Peach »

bloke wrote:I like 'em too...and the 24" recording bell version (likely, mostly a to-USA-exported goofy hybrid) makes a monstrously nice racket (indoors or out).
Yep. I think all the bell front models were for export market.
These would doubtless scare conductors in a hurry...
Peach
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

There is a user, Andycat, who I think previously used a 4 valve Bb imperial in orchestras.

We had one of the top UK Bb bass brass band players comment on how good our bands (beat up/needs a service) 3v imperial played. I have played one for a little while - certainly a good instrument for an amateur wanting to be the ideal foundation, namely in tune.

Not trendy, under appreciated and cheap. Off topic- most could probably benefit from a valve replating. In Australia we have two (2) people who can do this, maybe more. Very good for a population of 24 million. Cost is around $eoo ($210 USD) per valve
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Patrase wrote:There is a user, Andycat, who I think previously used a 4 valve Bb imperial in orchestras.

We had one of the top UK Bb bass brass band players comment on how good our bands (beat up/needs a service) 3v imperial played. I have played one for a little while - certainly a good instrument for an amateur wanting to be the ideal foundation, namely in tune.

Not trendy, under appreciated and cheap. Off topic- most could probably benefit from a valve replating. In Australia we have two (2) people who can do this, maybe more. Very good for a population of 24 million. Cost is around $eoo ($210 USD) per valve
Good shout re Andy Cattanach - I know he has a 3v since he got it from me! He uses them for occasional marching, and when he was at Brighouse they won at least one "best Basses" using a pair of 3v Bb's with the 2x Eb's.

And yes, if the valves are worn you're in trouble. I've played a few older models and they all had tired valves. If you can find a late model Imp, the valves are usually good.

Intrigued you saying they are good for an amateur?
Surely band players are amateur anyway? And in Orchestra it is very seldom to find a requirement below low E.
Do you just mean that an accomplished player or Pro, would rather have a fully chromatic instrument down to the fundamental?

Thanks!
Peach
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

I've used both 3v and 4v Imps in Orchestras, no complaints from anyone at all. Got a Dvorak 8/ Nielsen Helios coming up that I may do the 3v on.
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

A 3 valve Besson New Standard BBb was my horn for many years. The bell was as heavy as battleship plate and the horn projected like crazy. Did Sensemaya with it several times, once in Carnegie Hall. Was also great for quintet. I agree re the sharp Eb on the staff and mine had a clocking inaccuracy in the 3rd valve.
Many people wanted me to return to the Besson after I started playing Martins. I love them but they do not project in any way like the Besson did. They are powerhouses indeed.
Mine was lent to a student never to be seen again. But by that time the valves were shot. Oh well....
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I occasionally use a 3-valve comp subbing in a church orchestra. The church bought it from eBay, and it was beaten up badly; the entire outside bow is half flattened, and there are many other dents. It sounds and play great. With my eyes closed, it's like playing a new horn.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone