New Technique Question

The bulk of the musical talk
IceePirate
lurker
lurker

New Technique Question

Post by IceePirate »

Hello, After seeing a lot of professionals do it. I have recently started experimenting with moving my 1st valve tuning slide while playing to try to play those notes more in tune. So far I have found pretty good success with this and I want to learn the finer details. So my question is: Are there any such guides out there to help with the details or just learning it in general?

Thanks!
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: New Technique Question

Post by thevillagetuba »

There are no such guides that I know of as the amount of manipulation will depend on the tuba's model and key. Even between models it isn't exactly the same. There are general tendencies (Eb on Bb tubas/F on C tubas) but the best practice is using your ear in conjunction with drones to find out where it needs to go in each key/chord as the note as the root will not need the same adjustments as it would as a third, fifth, etc.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
IceePirate
lurker
lurker

Post by IceePirate »

Appreciate it, Thanks!
Mark

Post by Mark »

You can create a tuning chart. Do a search to see how.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

I hope this is ok to post here. If not, I will delete it. I couldn't find a reference to purchasing it online anywhere. I've had this handout for years, and it has been my tuning "bible". I wrote to Bill Bell when I was deciding on a tuba, and he sent it to me. I found that my Meinl-Weston CC tuned exactly like his pictures. On my Mack Brass CC, I find that the Bb in all octaves needs the same farther pull as the F (about 1 1/4"). It was distributed by Getzen. Due to upload restrictions, the 2nd half of this will be in the next post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

Rest of the brochure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IceePirate
lurker
lurker

Post by IceePirate »

Hey jperry, seems that it won't allow you to post your file here, if you would like to, I would enjoy it if you sent it in a PM. Thanks!
luke_hollis
bugler
bugler

Post by luke_hollis »

As someone who moves their first slide every time I play, the only guide I have is to play in tune.

Slide in for low Bb, out most for F below the staff and then gradually work back in as I continue above the staff. I have to move it to be in tune.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

IceePirate wrote:Hey jperry, seems that it won't allow you to post your file here, if you would like to, I would enjoy it if you sent it in a PM. Thanks!
Will do.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

Ok. Trying this a different way: Here is a direct link to the pics of the brochure. One thing that is not mentioned, On CC tuba the 3rd line D, or 2nd space C on BBb, the 1st valve slide must be all the way in.
http://cubeupload.com/im/jperry1466/BillBell1.jpg
http://cubeupload.com/im/jperry1466/BillBell2.jpg
http://cubeupload.com/im/jperry1466/BillBell3.jpg
http://cubeupload.com/im/jperry1466/BillBell4.jpg
IceePirate
lurker
lurker

Post by IceePirate »

Thanks, for some reason it seems to be working now in the original post. I'll definitely try to incorporate these in my next practice session though!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

At a small horn workshop at which Sam Pilafian was doing his breathing thing, I watched him perform and move the 1st slide several inches back and forth before he settled on the right spot. The pitch did not change in the slightest; he was looking for the best resonance.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

MaryAnn wrote:At a small horn workshop at which Sam Pilafian was doing his breathing thing, I watched him perform and move the 1st slide several inches back and forth before he settled on the right spot. The pitch did not change in the slightest; he was looking for the best resonance.

That is exactly right. Once your chops are developed enough you pull for resonance, not pitch.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?