What’s the correct combination?

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

What’s the correct combination?

Post by TubaofGilman »

I am a community band member and I play a CC tuba(Mack Brass 410L). I recently started also playing in a brass band which also has a BBb tuba.
Should I play the Eb or the F tuba in the brass band?
I’ve seen where if someone plays a CC tuba they also play the F and if they play the BBb they also play an Eb?
All advice is appreciated.
Mack Brass 410 CC and St. Petersburg 3v Eb
JStubaJMU
bugler
bugler

Re: What’s the correct combination?

Post by JStubaJMU »

I wouldn't know exactly what tuba you should play. I will say that we play CC tubas (on the Bb bass part) and F tubas (on the Eb bass part) in the JMU BB. This most likely because those are the tubas we study with though. Just as an FYI. In my opinion, the more authentic set up would be to play the Bb bass part on a Bb tuba and an Eb tuba on the Eb part but I don't think it really matters all that much in the long run - especially in the US where Fs and CCs are more common.
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

If the conductor is not religious about the equipment you can play whatever you feel comfortable with (and you have at hand). Years ago I played in a brit-style brass band (with nearly all trumpets changed to cornets and only one french horn left), where we had a BBb and CC for the BBb part and a F and Eb for the Eb part. Great display of variety and still proper sound!
And one advice from the great Arnold Jacobs: It is much easier to have one tuba and a choice of mouthpieces than the other way round...
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Unless your band is rich enough to buy a set of traditional horns (4-valve compensating BBb and Eb Bessons or clones), play what you have. If you have the money to buy a traditional horn and feel it's best for you, go for it. Great bands out there have used about every combination of tubas possible.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

I have a Mack 410 too and played it once in a brass band rehearsal on the EEb part. It was much easier than playing the BBb part, both in terms of the transposition (just pretend it's bass clef, fix a few notes here and there) and the range. I thought it sounded fine but a cohort said the CC sounded 'too big" for EEb. BBb brass band parts are in the low weeds all the time, sometimes at fortissimo and beyond. It's real work!
Last edited by LibraryMark on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

I've been playing for 2-years in the Capital City BB in Michigan. Played 1 semester as a kid (college student) when Central Michigan University had a brass band. Bb parts only so far.

I played on a King 2341 for 2 cycles, then a Conn 52J for like 4 cycles, now I've been on a Bb Neo for 3 cycles.

I'm not a world-beater as a player, but I like to think I'm not terrible. I think any horn that sounds good/works well works in brass band. That said, I got pretty solid at reading the Bb parts on my CC horn, but playing the Bb parts on a BBb horn is just a bit easier. And in my case I think the neo just has a warmer sound in the depth charge/bomber engine range than my Conn did.

So, do what you'd like with the players you have that works the best.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

LibraryMark wrote:I have a Mack 410 too and played it once in a brass band rehearsal on the EEb part. It was much easier than playing the BBb part, both in terms of the transposition (just pretend it's bass clef, fix a few notes here and there) and the range. I thought it sounded fine but my cohorts said the CC sounded 'too big" for EEb. BBb brass band parts are in the low weeds all the time, sometimes at fortissimo and beyond. It's real work!
Hey Mark,

I wasn't part of that conversation, but by big I think ment like more rattly/edgy/sort of a sound that carries more. Whereas Brass Bands is look more for a woofy, warm, fills up the room bass sound. That is more what I thought with my own choice of horns, can't put words in the other guys mouthes. I think it is more of a horn to horn versus a one key versus another.

-Randy
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

Voisi1ev wrote: Hey Mark,

I wasn't part of that conversation, but by big I think ment like more rattly/edgy/sort of a sound that carries more. Whereas Brass Bands is look more for a woofy, warm, fills up the room bass sound. That is more what I thought with my own choice of horns, can't put words in the other guys mouthes. I think it is more of a horn to horn versus a one key versus another.

-Randy
Sadly I think that the "rattly/edgy" thing has more to do with my face than my horn. We'll see how it goes when I bring in my EEb that I just bought.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

Voisi1ev wrote:...I think the neo just has a warmer sound in the depth charge/bomber engine range than my Conn did.
The word, "Howitzer" came to my mind when I first heard you play the neo. It's a fantastic sounding horn.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

TubaofGilman wrote: Should I play the Eb or the F tuba in the brass band?
The tuba you decide to play depends on a combination of your preference and the needs of the band. There is no definitive answer anyone on this forum can give you.

First of all, you didn't specifically say if this band is a British-style brass band, or just a brass band. I'm going to assume you mean a British brass band because their needs are more defined. But even here, there is variability. I play in two British-style brass bands: One requires that only Bb and Eb tubas be played (and will supply an Eb if necessary). The other, although preferring Bb and Eb tubas, only asks that the players play well.

The advantage of Bb/Eb only, as opposed to a combination of Bb/C/Eb/F, only kicks in when the band is capable of performing at a fairly high level, and even then can be subtle. If you are just starting out in brass banding, I would say play whatever you have as you absorb the culture.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

LibraryMark wrote:

Sadly I think that the "rattly/edgy" thing has more to do with my face than my horn. We'll see how it goes when I bring in my EEb that I just bought.
Again that was just me sharing what I found with my sound. I do like all my horns, but I have a feeling in a few years I might sell both the Conn and the Neo, buy a big 4+1 Bb. Maybe like the Wessex Prokofiev, or a BMB horn. I don't need/want to deal with 2 horns to play in large ensembles.

That said, I always feel silly reading new stuff when you are around, always impressed by how quick you learn parts!
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

In the Mission Peak Brass band: http://mpbb.org/" target="_blank I have 2 CC's playing the BBb part, and an F and a CC playing the E-flat part. Sounds fine to me ....
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Of course, you could always ask the conductor what is needed the most . . . but then again, you might encourage him/her.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaofGilman »

Thanks for all of your responses.
The brass band for now are playing music more in line with Barclays Brass
and Canadian Brass ie..(Sonata from Die Bankelsangerlieder,
When Peace, Like a River and Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming)...
Coming from playing a trumpet in my past life it seems to be
easier transitioning to CC and Eb Tubas than to BBb and F Tubas.
I hope to learn all 4 fingerings eventually but for now it’s just CC and Eb.
Mack Brass 410 CC and St. Petersburg 3v Eb