dry mouth

The bulk of the musical talk
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

dry mouth

Post by bigboymusic »

I had gastric sleeve surgery in May 2018... Great success so far. But, as far as playing goes, only one major thing. I played a concert with the symphony quintet last weekend, and for the first time ever, got bone dry about half way through... Any tricks or solutions to helping keep your mouth hydrated during a gig.. With the GSV, i can't intake too much water at a time...

Good thing is that typical orchestral concerts, no big deal. But playing for 90 minutes straight was tough...
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Re: dry mouth

Post by jpwell »

Therabreath drymouth lozenges
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Water with lemon juice, sipped. Obviously I would say water in general but with your stomach maybe the lemon juice is a better idea.

Water intake daily should be one ounce per two pounds of body weight, with any caffeinated drinks requiring an additional amount of water equal to the amount of the drink consumed. Most people are chronically dehydrated and have no idea. If you take this up you will pee like crazy for a few days until your body realizes it gets to keep that water, and then a lot of things may get better.

Best of luck.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Don't consume too much sodium. Drink lots of water.
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

there is a small oral spray available at the drug store, about the size of chapstick. it works nicely and feels natural when playing. better than water.

and the comments above on proper hydration are as important as valve oil.

tim
Tubaman2365
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaman2365 »

That's interesting, I have had the opposite situation. I had the same procedure in September 2018 and I have not had a dry mouth problem once. I used to have occasional problems with dry mouth before the surgery, and it was usually related to my sodium intake. I generally make sure I drink as much water as possible in the morning before I have breakfast, and then continually hydrate through out the day.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I would make the wild guess that the OP is actually drinking less water than he did before, because it fills the stomach, and that making some kind of "water schedule" might solve the problem so that he still gets enough but has to pay more attention as to how he gets it. Just my wandering mind making a comment.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Biotene spray works fairly well.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone