Do you watch TV - or do other things - when practicing?

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Do you watch TV - or do other things - when practicing?

Post by Three Valves »

A tuba player would substitute beer pong...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Actually I do watch TV. Also have a balance board that is stand on while playing the saxophone. Ceiling is to short for the Sousaphone. But I do not try to read music when doing those things. If I am practicing I focus on the music in front of me. Reading music is my biggest weakness. I have to ignore what my head says it should sound like and play what is written.

Charlie C. Chowder
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

If I even thought about trying that, I would break every bone in my body, along with assorted furniture, windows, and walls.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

I've always wanted a set of those hover board things for marching band. Save time not teaching kids to march, just ride the boards! Would work well with a technology/future/sci fi themed show.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

When I am forced indoors by foul weather, I have to skip my daily walks up and down hills. Instead, I plug a practice mute in my Bb trumpet and march back and forth playing military marches in my large basement. It is splendid physical exercise and makes me feel like the strong soldier (military bandsman) I used to be.

Ace age 83
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

Why would I want to? The hour I spend practicing is the highlight of the day. It is the only time I get to really focus on exactly one thing and ignore everything else!
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

I'm to the point that I'm kinda bored if I'm doing my 1.5-2 hour daily routine without a TV. Long tones, buzzing, and lip slurs takes about 45 minutes or so, so I can get through one episode of an hour show without commercials. When I get into articulation and velocity, I still have a show going, but it needs to be something less involved, like a sitcom; I'm still trying to make that a little more second nature.

Once I get through that, I practice literature without TV, unless I find a trouble spot that's going to take tons of repetition. So I'll play, say, an episode of Big Bang Theory, see how I'm feeling at the end of that episode, then either start another one while still working out the spot, or move on.

So, in a 3-hour practice session, I'll watch about 2 hours of video. Lately, I've been doubling up my practice schedule, but not as much video...so 6 hours of playing, and still 2 hours of TV.
Nick
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

Voisi1ev wrote:I've always wanted a set of those hover board things for marching band. Save time not teaching kids to march, just ride the boards! Would work well with a technology/future/sci fi themed show.
Kind of like these guys? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oRht5pqwRw" target="_blank" target="_blank"

(edited - wrong video)
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Playing/practicing the tuba takes all my attention. Since I have the attention of a cat I need to put it all into my playing :tuba: