input wanted on B&S MRP

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

input wanted on B&S MRP

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I don't think there are many MRP owners out there, but I would like input. I notice that MRP owners don't seem to put on tuning triggers - not even a pull rod on the first valve slide. That, in itself, must say something about them.

I love the size and feel of the Gronitz PCM. Would you say that the MRP is similar (only with rotors)? The M-W "Tuono" seems more PCK like.
Eg88
lurker
lurker

Re: input wanted on B&S MRP

Post by Eg88 »

I’ve been playing Mrp since may 2018. It is an amazing instrument. I changed after been playing 10 years on a pt6.

It is very well in tune, has a big dark sound but still with a lot of core. The low register is very good and the evenness of sound over the three orchestral octaves amazing.

I can really recommend it!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

BTW, there is an almost new MRP at Dillons that has been there for months... only $11k, much less than brand new! I can't believe nobody has bought it yet. Maybe it has Barry's name on it... :)
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

The only thing that bugged me about the MRP (besides the price) was the fact that I couldn't comfortably reach the first slide. I think a pull bar would be great to have if the horn needed it. I didn't play it extensively, but it was on my short list when I was looking for a horn. It is definitely fatter than the Tuono in the bows, and I'd say it's probably a 5.5/4, not quite as big as all the York copies, but close enough. I don't have any experience with Gronitz so I can't really compare.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

I've heard that the closest analog for size and sound is a Rudy Meinl 4/4
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I thought the MRP was physically much larger than the Rudy 4/4. Sound is a lot bigger too! Maybe the Rudy 5/4...?
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thanks for all the great input.
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

Every Mr P I’ve played was great! If you’re a PT6 fan, you’ll love them. For me, it took everything great about the PT6 sound and gave it the girth you can get from a 6/4. I played a PT6 for about 5 years, so maybe I’m bias, but there’s a reason the sound wins auditions. The Mr P felt and sounded like a PT6 but gave you that extra sound needed when you’re alone in a large ensemble.
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
qqqq
lurker
lurker

Post by qqqq »

Hi there,
I might also want to buy a MrP or a PT-6.
I currently have a Hirsbrunner HBS 290. It's a great instrument. But there is one drawback: the Contra AS-G-GES is not open enough, I need a lot of air here, especially when I play it in the brass band.
How do the PT-6 and the MrP compare? What is the situation here from contra A flat to G flat?
Is the MrP harder to play than the PT-6 because it's bigger? Does the Mrp need more air?
Does anyone have a comparison to the Hirsbrunner HBS 290?
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I just bought one recently. Coming from a MW Thor, which had zero low range concern.

The MRP takes a different sort of blow than the piston 5450. The low range is definitely there, but there is less resistance than on the 5450. After a few days of just playing it the low range speaks very well.

No Hirsbrunner weirdness and it’s probably more in-tune.

It feels like it takes more air because of the little bit less resistance but you get used to it. It’s a very easy tuba to play. You’ve just got to give it what it wants.
Willson 3200RZ-5
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

Post by Mikelynch »

I am a big fan of the MRP CC, and play one frequently. In contrast to comments above, My experience is that, like many tubas, the MRPs are inconsistent. But for me, the great ones will stand out in 15 seconds of playing. which is how I ended up with one.

For a time, I thought that a first valve slide stop should have been standard equipment, due to the short pull. Though I only need to move the 1st slide for 3rd line D; and I then discovered that 1-3 on mine provided a very solid D, which is what I use.

I can't speak to the MRP at Dillon. Though there is a fine professionally-owned MRP available in Austin (not mine), if anyone is seriously looking.

Mike
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

How does the MRP compare to a 4098 Neptune (rotor)?
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Steve, to my eye they look pretty similar, but the MRP is more refined. Same valveset, I think. Never played a rotary Neptune but I’d guess the MRP is more consistent and has better pitch. I’d probably say, if you have and like a rotary Neptune and want the MRP because it’s new, keep the Neptune. I *LOVE* my MRP, but if I owned a Neptune I’d probably just hold onto it. It’s probably not different enough to call an upgrade. YMMV.
Willson 3200RZ-5
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

If I were younger and were trying to get gigs that actually pay money (what a concept!), I would at least investigate going from a Neptune to an MRP. It sounds as though the MRP is closer to being a 'point and shoot' tuba than the Neptune is. I think a tougher call might be between the MRP and a rotary PT-6.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Hey Barry -- what is it about the Neptune that you don't like, or wish was better? I only had my Neptune for a short time, but it seemed quite point-and-shoot. The difference in the PT-6 was mostly in the more focused sound. Haven't played an MRP, but would expect that to be even a bit more focused. Wasn't the goal of the MRP to make a BBb sounding CC tuba?

All 3 are different flavors of the same thing, and I'm not sure that any will be revolutionary changes from the other. Incremental changes, sure... but not revolutionary.
JPLynd
bugler
bugler

Post by JPLynd »

So I've actually owned a Tuono (formerly) and a MRP (currently) and think they are decently similar.

The thing that made me get rid of the Tuono was that Meinl Weston 3rd valve layout. For the life of me, i can't think of why you'd want that 3rd valve slide where it is (other than cost savings for MW perhaps...)

On both the Tuono and the MRP there is a pretty big slide pull that needs to happen between Eb just below the staff and Ab in the staff (for me anyway). On the Tuono it is just too far out of reach and and even trying to stike a balance in between the two, both notes are too far out of tune to really lip into shape w/o sacrificing sound. W/ the B&S slide layout, that 3rd valve is super easy to reach.

On the 1st valve side of things, I was initially really concerned about how far of a reach the 1st valve is on the MRP, but i'm finding i don't need to reach for it nearly as often as I have on other horns. It really is a pretty 'point and shoot' horn for me, other than those 2 notes outlined above. I'm actually holding the horn w/ my hand on the 3rd valve and i just had the 3rd valve vented as I think this is going to be the primary slide i manipulate on the horn.

On sound, I've been able to achieve the exact sound concept I've been hunting for on both the Tuono and the MRP, so for me, the distinction between the two really came down to ergonomics and slide pulling.
Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" (Small Bell)
Miraphone Norwegian Star 283 Eb
Wessex CC Helicon

Gone but not forgotten :tuba:
MRP, YEB-321, 45SLZ, 188, 45SLP, 2155, 836, 5450RA, 56J, 853, 46, 410, 201N, 186
JPLynd
bugler
bugler

Post by JPLynd »

*disclaimer... I've only had my MRP for about 2 weeks, so definitely still learning the horn. But after experiencing the frustration of the 3rd valve location and intonation tendencies that I had w/ the Tuono, I'm not surprised to also experience them on the MRP and very glad that they are more easily dealt with w/ the MRP.

Having that 3rd valve easily in reach also puts 1-3 in play for D below the staff (which is usually a pretty sharp alternative fingering for me) but definitely handy to have at my disposal.

So far, I'm incredibly happy w/ it.
Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" (Small Bell)
Miraphone Norwegian Star 283 Eb
Wessex CC Helicon

Gone but not forgotten :tuba:
MRP, YEB-321, 45SLZ, 188, 45SLP, 2155, 836, 5450RA, 56J, 853, 46, 410, 201N, 186
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

JPLynd wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:15 pm *disclaimer... I've only had my MRP for about 2 weeks, so definitely still learning the horn. But after experiencing the frustration of the 3rd valve location and intonation tendencies that I had w/ the Tuono, I'm not surprised to also experience them on the MRP and very glad that they are more easily dealt with w/ the MRP.

Having that 3rd valve easily in reach also puts 1-3 in play for D below the staff (which is usually a pretty sharp alternative fingering for me) but definitely handy to have at my disposal.

So far, I'm incredibly happy w/ it.
Mine is the same way. I find that 5-1 brings it right in-tune, but I’m also considering some sort of second valve kicker. 1-3 for D is right on. However, I do find that if I don’t try to just hammer on the horn, the Eb hangs out lower and more in-tune. I haven’t had mine very long either, but I’m loving it. Mine came with 1st and 4th vented but I don’t need to move them very much. I’ll have 2nd vented if I decide to get a kicker. Interestingly, I came to this horn from a small bell Thor, which had the best intonation of any CC tuba I’ve played. I wonder what happened to the Tuono’s pitch considering it’s the same bugle. Maybe just a one-off issue. I switched because I loved the sound of the MRP. Haven’t looked back.
Willson 3200RZ-5
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

To answer Bort's question, my "Neptune" is not quite 'point and shoot'. It's better than it was! That's because I took the smaller lead-pipe off and examined it. I discovered that it was crimped where it makes its complicated twist, then heads towards the fifth valve. Joe Sellmansberger not only fixed the crimp, but he also made it so that it sits a tad higher on the bell than it used to. That has turned out to be better for me, ergonomically speaking (I play tuba straight up and down, not sideways). It definitely plays better than it used to. I've got tuning stuff up the kazoo on that horn, so I can nip and tuck things into pitch fairly easily. The 5th valve slide is easy to access. I have a rod and thumb ring on the first valve slide, and there's a long rod (with a T-bar handle) to work the main tuning slide (sorry, but I hate acronyms [MTS]). However, the best thing is that it came with a really functioning 'kicker' for the second valve slide. As you could easily surmise, that lends me alternate fingering possibilities up the kazoo as well.

If you look at the MRP and compare, the first thing that jumps out is the lead-pipe. There is no weird 'twisty', pretzel like thing happening on the MRP's leadpipe. The second thing is that the taper of the bottom bow and bell looks more 'organic' to the rest of the bugle. With the Neptune, they basically stuck a larger bottom bow and bell on to a PT-6 chassis.

Yesterday was the first day I've played the Neptune in a symphony orchestra situation (Rachmaninoff piano concerto #2). I was surprised just how good the Neptune sounded in that context (I used a smaller Helleberg on it). However, it takes a bit more work than the 6/4 York copies call for. If I can win the lottery, I may very well make the switch to an MRP.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

On mine, 4th valve "D" was a little funny... just felt and played differently than any other note. I sold the tuba before I worked that out.

Fast forward many tubas later...

I have a 5/4 Rudy Meinl BBb now. Nothing funky, and for as big as it is, it's quite easy to handle. I'm still settling in with it a bit, but I'm probably happier with this than any other BIG tuba that I've owned before.