input wanted on B&S MRP

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: input wanted on B&S MRP

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I don't think that's too surprising - Rudi Meinl makes great tubas. My understanding is that Wesley Jacobs played a Rudi 5/4 CC in Detroit for decades.
Triggerfish
bugler
bugler

Post by Triggerfish »

Thought I would share some input since I've personally played on a PT 6 (rotor) for a number of years and 4 other MRP Cs owned by friends. What I can say is that the MRP C is fantastic instrument, the intonation in general on these instruments is quite good varying from normal like the PT 6 to exceptional. The MRP Cs are also unique in that they have little to no resistance compared to other tubas like Gronitz and even the PT 6 which may take a moment to get used to, lots of warm slow air with no pushing like you would with an instrument with resistance, but once you get used to it the instrument really does feels effortless to play compared to others (although this style of instrument may not be a fit for everyone). Compared to the PT 6 the MRP C does project more with a fatter tone likely due to the fatter bottom and top bow of the body. Compared to the tuono I am unsure, but I generally find that MW and B&S have different sound concepts for their instruments with MW being darker and B&S preferring the traditional German sound.

I currently play a piston C but if were ever to buy or go back to a rotor C tuba the MRP C is for sure on the top of my list
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Thank you for that great input.
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone compare the MrP CC to a Rudy 5/4 CC? Size, sound, extreme registers, pitch, response? Thanks!

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

I bought a new silver plated MRP C last week. In my 30 year professional career, I've owned many CC tubas. I've only been playing it for a week and used it last night on a concert. I can already tell it's the best CC tuba I've ever owned regarding pitch, sound, easy of playing and low and high register. The 1st slide is a bit uncomfortable but I'm at the point where I don't need to move it. I'm still working on pitch consistency on the 5th partial E and Eb which I feel are a bit low. I have ordered a 2nd valve slide trigger that will take care of the very sharp 3rd partial E and Eb, low D and if I want, a 24 C# and F# though 235 works great. Other than those notes (which have an easy fix), it's basically blow and go. There are 2 at the Buffet Crampon showroom in Florida and Warren Kuss is very helpful and has great ears to help. They also have a very fine silver plated 3098 (PT6) and 3198 (PT6P). I played a 6P for 17 years in my full-time symphony orchestra and was thinking I would go back to that instrument after 2 years on a 6/4 which isn't me but the MRP C convinced me more. Best wishes.
ASmith
bugler
bugler

Post by ASmith »

MikeMilnarik wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:19 pm Hi Everyone!

Can anyone compare the MrP CC to a Rudy 5/4 CC? Size, sound, extreme registers, pitch, response? Thanks!

Mike Milnarik

I have owned a MrP C and currently own a Rudy 5/4. Every Rudy I have ever played has been very different, so I am only going to speak on behalf of the one I own. My horn was Ted Cox's horn I knew going into it that was a great instrument. My MrP was a steal of a deal that happened into and I don't feel like it was the best representation of the instrument.

The Rudy is definitely larger overall than the MrP. It's really a 6/4 and the MrP is really a 5/4.

I find that the Rudy has warm with a little more core and better projection. The MrP C I owned had a warm, dark sound, but I felt like I had to work for projection at times.

My MrP had a was a little squirrely around the third and fourth partials. So much so that I found that the short side of the first valve to be an annoyance. I think a second valve trigger would be a great addition to the horn. I feel like I have a "golden example" Rudy in terms of intonation, very straight forward intonation and only really typical pulls. Both are good in the extremes, but the Rudy wins on the top end due to its better "slotting."

All of that to say, I have played many MrP C's that were incredible and several Rudys that were just ok. So it all comes to a bit of luck.
Rudy 5/4 CC
Willson 3400-FA5
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Hi Andy!

Thanks for this comparison! So did you feel that the "incredible" MrP C's played better than your current Rudy 5/4? (Maybe it's hard to compare with them not being back to back.) I have had two 5/4 Rudy's over the years. The problem I had was the low register being stuffy and sometimes the valves not moving fast enough, even after I having them worked on. I have heard that the MrP Cs have a very open low register, but if I remember correctly from the little bit of history I know about your Rudy, the 3rd and 4th valves were reversed and probably blow freer down there?

I agree, the 5/4 Rudys can be inconsistent from horn to horn. (The 3/4 models are very consistent in tendencies - but have slightly different character, being hand made.)

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Mike Milnarik

INNOVATA
TUBASTUDIO.com

ASmith
bugler
bugler

Post by ASmith »

I'm Aaron, I think Andy is on here as "Andy Smith." I get the confusion and it happens a lot.

I don't think they played any better, but definitely not worse. I would almost just leave it at they are pretty darn different horns at the end of the day.

I'm not so certain about the work history of my horn. Fourth valve low G is maybe a hair tighter but easy to center. Everything else below that is easy peasy. The MrP is more open in the low register that most rotary PT6's, which I would conjecture is a result of the larger bows.

I think the MrP C appeal is all in the sound. It plays like a good PT6, but it is far more efficient for a larger ensemble than a PT6. If you don't like the PT6 you probably won't like the MrP.
Rudy 5/4 CC
Willson 3400-FA5
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

That is really helpful! Thank you, Aaron! My apologies for getting your name wrong. I thought that was Andy Smith's user name.

Mike Milnarik

INNOVATA
TUBASTUDIO.com