silent brass system for euphonium

The bulk of the musical talk
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

silent brass system for euphonium

Post by elimia »

Is it totally silent, or does it resemble the muffled sound of a practice mute?

You may see me WTB soon in FS...
TMurphy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TMurphy »

Two of my college roommates were Euph players. One played a Willson, and preferred the Willson sound. The other played a besson. He preferred the Besson sound.

One had a Silent Brass mute (no electronics). He preferred it because it was the quiestest mute he's seen (not totally silent, but very quiet).

The other had a Denis Wick practice mute. He preferred it, because it played a little more open than the Silent Brass. But was louder.

Ironically, both played the same mouthpiece--SM2. One preferred gold plating, the other silver.

Tim "the choices are all personal" Murphy
elimia
3 valves
3 valves

Post by elimia »

I'm interested in the electronic mute. I would like to move back upstairs out of my basement and would purchase this if it works. I currently have a Humes and Berg practice mute and it isn't quiet enough for me.
Bob Mosso
bugler
bugler

Post by Bob Mosso »

Question about the silent brass system, does the mute work the same without the electronics? Or, do the electronics cancel the sound similar to those Bose headphones?

Bob
adamfrey
pro musician
pro musician

Yamaha Silent Brass

Post by adamfrey »

I have both the Denis Wick and the Yamaha Silent Brass. I think the nicest thing about the Silent Brass is that it is both very quiet and quite free blowing. I found that the Dennis Wick has more back pressure (I actually use it for muscle training and endurance building).

For me, I do not use the electronic box with the Silent brass that often as I do not have the time to play with it, but it is great fun all the things you can do with it.

Adam Frey
www.euphonium.com