Frozen Valve Oil

The bulk of the musical talk
Tubachin
bugler
bugler

Frozen Valve Oil

Post by Tubachin »

Hi, I've been putting my tuba and valve oil, stand, stand light, etc. in my car the night before a rehearsal. The winters in Maine are cold and it gets well below 32F/0C overnight. I don't know the freezing point of valve oil, but I am wondering if the cold changes the characteristics of my Hetman lubricant 2 valve oil.

Coincidentally, my second valve is a bit sluggish - are they related? Thanks for your help...
Matt Chin
Yarmouth, Maine
MW2182W
Cerveny F Helicon
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Frozen Valve Oil

Post by Jerryleejr »

Im no Sheldon Cooper, But Ive left instruments and accessories in the car overnight in a variety of temps with no long term detrimental effects..

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
rtucker5612
lurker
lurker

Re: Frozen Valve Oil

Post by rtucker5612 »

I’ve worked in the oil business my entire career (39 years), mostly developing lubricants. Oil doesn’t have a freeze point, as it is made up of a range of hydrocarbons of various carbon chain lengths. However, they do have pour points. As they get colder, they get thicker. When they warm back up, they thin back out - no long-term effect due to the cold. So, yes, the cold does change the characteristics of your valve oil, but it returns to its thinner state when it warms back up. It shouldn’t cause a sluggish valve on I it warms back up. Probably a lot more than you wanted to know!