The price of 4 valve King Sousaphones

The bulk of the musical talk
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

The price of 4 valve King Sousaphones

Post by Kirley »

You need to reset the permissions for your google drive link.

And, I'm thinking, that's not the only thing you might need to "reset".
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: King 4 piston Sousaphone for sale$3,800obo.

Post by Kirley »

Cool. We can all think things are worth whatever we want. Especially when we want to sell similar things.

I'd be very interested to see any sales that actually went through of vintage 4-valve sousaphones in this price range.
This is a topic I'm particularly interested in.

hrender, that ebay post that you referred to isn't going to sell anywhere close to that. It is a 3-valve in rough shape and doesn't even have the original bell, which in my view is the main reason to seek out the Symphony model. Not that Martin bells are bad!

Kiltie, I agree that the 22" symphony bell is a major selling point here. These details were not lost on me. I don't know anything about CC tubas but old sousaphones... that's my jam.

I'm in no way denying that this is cool horn. Although, I still can't see it.
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Re: King 4 piston Sousaphone for sale$3,800obo.

Post by MrBasseyPants »

As an owner of both a King giant 4-valve and a King Jumbo 4-valve, I’d love to have this horn to complete “the collection.” I really don’t need it though, and it is currently priced over twice what I paid for the Giant on eBay a few years ago, and it is about the same as I paid for my Jumbo + the Jumbo valve set (in raw materials)...

While it may be a cool horn, it’s price is too high. I’d say $3000 if you are lucky, but more like $2000 depending on wether or not you like the 22in bell.

Would still love to see the pics....maybe it is in amazing shape!

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: The price of 4 valve King Sousaphones

Post by Kirley »

Interesting edit!
bstevens
bugler
bugler

Re: The price of 4 valve King Sousaphones

Post by bstevens »

I decided to buy this from the seller - the horn looks in really good shape from the photos - valves look excellent. Neck was rebuilt though I believe, and there is a patch which made me push down the price. Paid $3k in the end - which I think is fair based on the photos. Once I get it I'll let you know if I instantly regret it or not! 1924(ish) horn.
--
Yamaha YFB-822F
1924 King Symphony 4v Sousaphone, 22" Bell
Cerveny F Helicon