Rotary Valve Stop Cord Question W900 Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Rotary Valve Stop Cord Question W900

Postby Worth » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:19 pm

One of my W900 5th valve rotary valve stops has deteriorated and is ready to split. It is shaped exactly like the Votaw product below (French Horn) which I purchased (pretty cheap for a gamble), but then found was shaped right, but too small for the application. Despite where I look, I can't find this upsized version of the French Horn style cord for my rotary valve stops. I realize that I could whittle down a fatter one, but was looking for help in finding an exact replacement if anyone knows of a source. Thanks very much!

My horn

What I purchased which is too small
2014 Wisemann 900 with Blokepiece Symphony
1974 B&H Imperial Eb with DW2
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Rotary Valve Stop Cord Question W900

Postby timothy42b » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:18 pm

3D print it at the library? You have the old one for measurements, and drawing that shape should take you less than 5 minutes.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Just use o ring material from the hardware store.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Worth » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Mark Finley wrote:Just use o ring material from the hardware store.

Definitely an option of course, I was just looking for a similar "T-Shaped" material if it was available somewhere. Although now that I think of it, it's the "T" extension that has sort of peeled away from the round portion in the slot of the existing design, so your idea may be the better one going forward.
Last edited by Worth on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 pm

what Mark said...

The stuff you bought fits Holton double horns, perhaps Bach trombones...but I find no use for it at all.

Remove your cork plate from the instrument, secure it C-shaped-openings-up in a vice. (Use cardboard, etc. to avoid marking it up). Roll some round rubber material into the C-shaped openings with a screwdriver (up to 50% large diameter than the C-shapes) and then trim the fronts to the appropriate spacing and trim with excess off the top with a very sharp (new) single-edged razor blade.

(Often I don't remove the cork plates, but I've done it a few times.)

It's going to require some "convincing" with that screwdriver. This is NOT a "no-pressure" endeavor, and requires some hand strength and control ("small motor").
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Worth » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 pm

bloke wrote:what Mark said...

The stuff you bought fits Holton double horns, perhaps Bach trombones...but I find no use for it at all.

Remove your cork plate from the instrument, secure it C-shaped-openings-up in a vice. (Use cardboard, etc. to avoid marking it up). Roll some round rubber material into the C-shaped openings with a screwdriver (up to 50% large diameter than the C-shapes) and then trim the fronts to the appropriate spacing and trim with excess off the top with a very sharp (new) single-edged razor blade.

(Often I don't remove the cork plates, but I've done it a few times.)

OK very cool, thanks very much to all. I've got it from here. And the 3D printing option although quite over the top, is something I would have never thought of!
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 pm

The more dense the rubber cord, the more hand pressure required to stuff a portion of it completely into the C-shape with a screwdriver.

I've heard of others stretching the cord to fit it in the C-shapes...?? To me, that seems like an odd method.
bloke

Postby CranstonTuba » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:26 pm

I just replaced the bumpers on my Mack 410

So I used to use the Votaw 1/4” rotor cord on my Miraphone so I bought the 3/16” from votaw but it was too small (about 4.7 mm). Looking for the solution I found myself trying to find the exact match. Osmun carries 5mm for $6 for 6 inches. Seeing as that was three times the price I needed to learn more. Votaw bumber cords have a 60 durometer (the hardness of the rubber). Osmun was offering either 50 or 70 of Buna-N rubber cord. Seeing as the Votaw was right in the middle I googled buna-n rubber cord. It brought me to grainger where I found 10 ft of 5mm cord for under $7. You can get almost any diameter. I also got 10 ft of 5.7 if I needed something larger that I could then trim.

https://www.grainger.com/product/E-JAME ... tock-6RTV3
CranstonTuba
lurker
lurker

Postby Stauff » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:06 pm

There's always McMaster Carr;
Oil-Resistant Food-Grade Buna-N O-Ring Cord Stock 70 Durometer
Stauff
bugler
bugler

Postby LibraryMark » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Tom McGrady from Mack Brass recommended this for my 410:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Cord-Silicone-3-16-In-Dia-10-Ft-E-JAMES-CSSIL-3-16-10/381804424481

It works pretty well and is more than I will use for a long time, plus it's a racy orange color.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Postby Mark Horne » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:42 pm

I use Bloke's method described above, except that I cut a V-shaped notch down the length of the rubber cylinder. The notch is placed on one of the edges of the C-shaped bumper holder. This provides a secure anchor point while pressing and rotating the non-anchored side in with a screwdriver. The notch also creates enough additional room to allow you to use a somewhat oversized cylinder so that you can have enough material to prevent over-rotation.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, B&S PT3, Mel Culbertson Neptune, Gronitz PCK, B&S Symphonie F 6V
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Postby Mark Finley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Here's my method.

Large o ring, cut it once.
Stick one end into the hole of the stop plate that the cork/whatever used to be. Use a small (but not too small screwdriver to work it into the space.
Cut off excess with a razor blade

Easy as pie
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:08 pm

I tend to use rubber that's about twice the diameter as the receiving semicircle in the cork plate.
I don't cut (other than cutting out at chunk that is a bit too long prior to installing it), and (again) roll it in with a "regular" (not small / not giant / not sharp-bladed) slot screwdriver. I trim off the top and bottom with a razor blade and then (via experience, I suppose...?? as I seem to be a "good guesser") trim the contact surface. The resulting look is the same as those pre-shaped ones that someone (above) showed in a picture.

non sequitur: These are not website-filtered swear words...just random asterisks... *** **** *******
bloke

Return to TubeNet