When can you call it a gig?

The bulk of the musical talk

What are the minimum requirements before you can call it a gig?

School recital / concert.
11%
Someone is letting us play, but it'll cost us money to do so.
12%
Someone is letting us play, and all it's costing us is a couple bucks gas money.
17%
Someone is giving us gas money to come play.
27%
Our all-volunteer group will pass the hat, and we're certain to come out with enough money to buy more sheet music.
8%
Our all-volunteer group has been hired to play for a substantial fee, which we will use to buy equipment and supplies for the band.
8%
Our normally all-volunteer group has been hired to play for $20 per person.
18%

Total votes: 66

tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

When I was in high school, our pep band played Folsom Prison. This big psycho-looking guy wanted to play my drum set. I let him.
Monty
bugler
bugler

Post by Monty »

Useful rule of thumb--" A gig is when you have to be on time". Pay isnt at all the single determinng factor because there are plenty of events you may want to do pro bono for other reasons more important than money- and some of those can be prestigous or for an important cause.

Most of the things you list seem to be what I would call "bad gigs"
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Post by smurphius »

Couple bucks of gasoline? Hmm.... I suppose that would work, assuming you're driving an SUV (because you're a tubist, right?) and you were only going 10 mins down the road. Hahaha. Otherwise, it's like $10 of gasoline now a days. HAH.
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

knuxie wrote: Is a grade considered 'pay'?
No, I don't think so. My reason: if you're being payed to play, then the reason you are there is because someone wants to hear you play, and wants it bad enough to give you money. If you're playing for a grade, then someone is letting you play as part of their job. Maybe they really enjoy it, maybe not; but they're certainly not making any sacrifice to hear you play. That grade may be valuable to you, but it costs them nothing to give.

The key, I think, is not what you get, but what someone else gives. This is really sort of where I've drawn the line -- if someone is paying for my presence, I've considered it a gig, even if I'm not the one getting the money.