little parts, their prices, and thanks to Miraphone Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

little parts, their prices, and thanks to Miraphone

Postby bloke » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Recently, Miraphone has been extremely generous to me, both in willingness to sell me a whole bunch of parts for this-and-that (even LISTING them on paper with the prices is a huge chore for them), but (just recently) gifting me a small handful of "finishing touches" parts.

This stuff is TIME CONSUMING to make, and when stuff costs $20 or $80 for "one little ol' thing", I'd wager that some don't realize that - for us repair-guys to make these things ourselves - requires HOURS of time.

I just finished making this (second of two) chair-rest support flange for an instrument of mine. I started out with three raw materials and a pre-made screw. It still took hours to make these just right...and no fancy knurling...and they look crude, compared to what someone like Miraphone, B&S, Adams, JP, and other places could do. It's thousandths of an inch, and geometry-geometry-geometry. The curvature of the nickel silver flange, btw, is clocked differently from the tension assembly.

Anyway, when little stuff costs what seems to be "real" money (whether from the USA, Germany, or Asia), I always realize just how long it would take to make those things myself, and am thankful that this stuff is available to buy at all...

...and just fwiw, there are TWO of these, and they are clocked away from their flanges' curves at completely different angles. When both are soldered to the back of the bottom bow, that 5/16" diameter stainless steel rod must easily slide through both at the same time, and - when the thumb screws are tightened one or two turns - the rod must be rigid...

...and this is obviously CHILD'S PLAY compared to making a piston or a casing.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: little parts, their prices, and thanks to Miraphone

Postby ken k » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:25 pm

can we see a picture of the finished product?

ken k
Miraphone Norwegian Star Eb
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
1990 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
2001 Mazda Miata
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 pm

ken k wrote:can we see a picture of the finished product?

ken k

I effected (seemingly) countless alterations/enhancements to this old Meinl Weston kaiser bariton (similar to the one that Rich Matteson played, pre-Yamaha), mostly because - after I bought it - (astonishingly) I discovered that it could easily be played in tune. This chair-rest (other than a strip/polish/lacquer job that I promised it) was the last thing (and proved to be not the quickest nor easiest) that was on the list of improvements/enhancements. (I documented all of this in another thread.)

:arrow: The point of the post is, "Thank-you, manufacturers, for selling the parts that you manufacture, and - when we make stuff ourselves (even when there are raw materials available that give us great head starts) - we realize how nice it is to be able to buy pre-made parts."

bloke

Postby roweenie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:23 am

bloke wrote:The point of the post is, "Thank-you, manufacturers, for selling the parts that you manufacture, and - when we make stuff ourselves (even when there are raw materials available that give us great head starts) - we realize how nice it is to be able to buy pre-made parts." 

Amen to this!

Example - even the simplest non-adjustable (fixed length) brace (such as a custom receiver brace) that might cost a few bucks from a supplier, can easily take a few hours to fabricate from scratch.

heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Return to TubeNet