Weatherproofing A Gig Bag Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Weatherproofing A Gig Bag

Postby BenP3 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for ways to protect my gig bag from the elements. I commute to NYC frequently and although the best method to protecting my case from rain or snow is to stay inside, sometimes that's difficult when traveling in the city.

What have you done to protect your case from weather? My first thought was to basically put a stretched tarp or shower-cap type cover over the case so I can still wear it on my back but I'm curious to know what other unique ways you've come up with to keep rain or snow from wearing down your gig bag.

Thanks for all the help!

Ben
BenP3
lurker
lurker

Re: Weatherproofing A Gig Bag

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm

What about scotchguard or some other kind of fabric treatment that repels water?
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 pm

I realize that most people in your area use public transportation a very large percentage of the time, as parking costs about the same as a haute cuisine restaurant dinner around there...

That having been said, a full-time professional (who is another c. 60-year-old, btw, and wearing of denting) is considering putting all the bags away, and using hard cases again. Hard cases and buses/trains probably don't get along very well, but - as long as the closure/valance is in good condition - would keep out the rain.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby YORK-aholic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

They make rain covers for hiking backpacks similar to your giant shower cap idea. I have one for a 48 liter pack and it works well, but obviously the shoulder straps get wet. They make them for packs up to 100-110 liters, but that would probably be too small for anything but the smallest F-tuba.
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Postby nworbekim » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Before my wife's knees gave out we used to hike the smoky mountains several times a summer... We used a rain cover for the packs. I'm not sure if they're available commercially for a bag the size of a tuba but you might get a person that makes covers for boats and RV's to manufacture one.

You have brought up a great question... I usually don't have to be out in the weather but it wouldn't hurt to have a plan...
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm

' a golf umbrella, rather than folds-into-nothing umbrella...??

I'm seeing 62" diameter offerings for fewer $$'s than some (any?) of these other suggestions.
bloke

Postby Doc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Run a little faster. :mrgreen:

Scotchguard is a good start, and it also helps ward off stains (dirty children, sloppy drunks, loose women, beer, bratwurst, mustard... you know, the regular offenders...). I also keep a golf umbrella in my vehicle (with a logo of my alma mater, of course), another in the house, and another on my golf bag. I rarely have to walk far enough to the car or at a gig that an umbrella is necessary, but at least I'm prepared with something that is wide enough to adequately cover me AND the tuba.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Am I the only one who remembers traveling to venues with the tuba in the case, taking it out of the case at the car, leaving the case in the car, and strolling up to the venue with the tuba up on one's shoulder?

I did that before bags were a "thing".

Typically, there's only one tuba per gig, but - every once in a while - there are more...and I remember seeing others do it.
Those who are old enough to remember when it was named "National Music Camp" will certainly remember Rex C. doing this.
bloke

Return to TubeNet