First orchestra gig!

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Re: First orchestra gig!

Post by Mark »

Elgar's Nimrod? This movement of the Enigma Variations is only about four minutes long. There isn't that much resting. This is a beautiful piece. Play with a beautiful tone and don't play too loudly.

The Tchaik is not too hard for tuba; but there are some other folks in the orchestra working their butts off on this piece. Don't make it harder for them by playing too loud. Be careful to get the off-beats.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

bloke wrote:Message me about quickly purchasing a C tuba from me.
' no way can you play a Bb tuba in a simfunny archestrah.
Bloke pointed out an important issue here - If getting a CC isn't in the cards, you need to email the music director immediately and ensure that the orchestra plays these pieces a whole step down to accommodate your instrument.

Seriously, now -

With the Tchaik, as in most of his works, while it's tempting to play as loudly as it appears he has indicated, this is a piece where the orchestra well tend to drag through the Allegro sections. There are a lot of syncopations, and those WILL DRAG. Fight the urge to follow everyone else, keep your eyes on the conductor, and play where the beats are, and bring your A-game articulations. This will do more than the conducting to keep the group together through those sections. If you have a spare few minutes before, after, or during a rehearsal, it may be worthwhile to do the Allegro sections with the percussion section to ensure that you guys are on the same page. Sacrifice volume to achieve the above.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

dgpretzel wrote:
Sacrifice volume...
:shock:

DG
As you well know, not something I say lightly.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

timayer wrote:Fight the urge to follow everyone else, keep your eyes on the conductor, and play where the beats are, and bring your A-game articulations. This will do more than the conducting to keep the group together through those sections. .
Danger, Will Robinson!

Yes you must play where the beats are, but watching an orchestra conductor can be confusing. The ictus may not align with the beat. You have to do it their way, and for orchestral and choral conductors their point for beat is sometimes not what a wind band musician expects. The real place for the beat they're expecting is often considerably later than the apparent direction change of their motion. You can get yelled at for rushing if you play where you think the conductor indicated the beat. Found this out the hard way. When I direct my ictus coincides with beat, but that isn't the way most do it.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

LUFU
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

lost wrote:[T]uba is a 5th instrument I dabble on and have fun with in a community band and parade band... but never in an orchestra.
What are the first four?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

lost wrote:
bloke wrote:Message me about quickly purchasing a C tuba from me.
' no way can you play a Bb tuba in a simfunny archestrah.

(' have fun, and enjoy having the tuba sound be YOUR sound.) :D
This was a thought. :lol:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
PeteDenton
bugler
bugler

Post by PeteDenton »

From memory there is a long sustained quiet B natural in the Tchaik which often requires a breath but has no obvious place to breathe un-noticed. I seem to recall that if you listen to the timpanist you can hide a breath when they re-strike the note. It's a well known corner of the tuba repertoire and if you nail it you will get appreciative comments from other the brass players (if they know the repertoire well).

Above all else, be musical and enjoy!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Seriously.....the conductor will give you the hand if you are too loud. The fairly good-sized community orchestras I have played in, what they liked was that they could hear me. That doesn't mean blow the bell off, but it does mean don't be shy.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

timothy42b wrote:
timayer wrote:Fight the urge to follow everyone else, keep your eyes on the conductor, and play where the beats are, and bring your A-game articulations. This will do more than the conducting to keep the group together through those sections. .
Danger, Will Robinson!

Yes you must play where the beats are, but watching an orchestra conductor can be confusing. The ictus may not align with the beat. You have to do it their way, and for orchestral and choral conductors their point for beat is sometimes not what a wind band musician expects. The real place for the beat they're expecting is often considerably later than the apparent direction change of their motion. You can get yelled at for rushing if you play where you think the conductor indicated the beat. Found this out the hard way. When I direct my ictus coincides with beat, but that isn't the way most do it.
I think I might know who you mean:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56051" target="_blank

:twisted:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

lost wrote:I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal.

8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

lost wrote:Well I went for the first time tonight. Brought my old Conn orchestra grand. Had fun in between resting.

Nobody commented on my horn being in BBb...nobody commented on it's size...nobody asked about lacquer vs. silver sound qualities, and nobody asked why I had pistons instead of rotors.

What a letdown!

I would have had answers to everything.

The director did stop and say how much she loved my sound and how much I added to the group. I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal.

:tuba:
Sounds like my kind of director :tuba:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

lost wrote:Well I went for the first time tonight. Brought my old Conn orchestra grand......The director did stop and say how much she loved my sound and how much I added to the group. I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal. :tuba:

How much bigger do you intend? :shock: :tuba:

lost wrote:Nobody commented on my horn being in BBb...nobody commented on it's size...nobody asked about lacquer vs. silver sound qualities, and nobody asked why I had pistons instead of rotors.

What a letdown! 
In all seriousness, we (tuba players) sometimes tend to get a little wrapped-up in ourselves...

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

Relax. Practice. Be in good tuba shape. Don't overthink. As I have told many of my students trying something for the first time, just go ready to play the tuba and you will do well. "Large" instruments can be played delicately in the hands of a well prepared player. For good while, I played a 5/4 Rudy Meinl CC tuba as my all-purpose instrument.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

Was it a 36J? Im waiting for my overhaul from Beeman Brass works!
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Hey Lost, As regards the B natural near the end, you're kind of exposed when it starts, like you said, just you and the timpani, but when the strings come in you can absolutely sneak a breath. And it happens twice so you can have air to spare(if that's an issue for you). I've always done it that way and never been busted, even by the bass bone player, who actually thought I played it in one breath, who was in the Florida Symphony Orchestra at the time. It's just something you can use if you feel the need. Have a great concert! Ed
The Singing Whale