First orchestra gig! Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: First orchestra gig!

Postby lost » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Well I went for the first time tonight. Brought my old Conn orchestra grand. Had fun in between resting.

Nobody commented on my horn being in BBb...nobody commented on it's size...nobody asked about lacquer vs. silver sound qualities, and nobody asked why I had pistons instead of rotors.

What a letdown!

I would have had answers to everything.

The director did stop and say how much she loved my sound and how much I added to the group. I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal.

:tuba:
J.W. York & Sons Artist

http://www.tubaist.com
lost

Postby the elephant » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:06 am

Attaboy!

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby windshieldbug » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 am

lost wrote:I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal.

8)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby Heavy_Metal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:12 am

lost wrote:Well I went for the first time tonight. Brought my old Conn orchestra grand. Had fun in between resting.

Nobody commented on my horn being in BBb...nobody commented on it's size...nobody asked about lacquer vs. silver sound qualities, and nobody asked why I had pistons instead of rotors.

What a letdown!

I would have had answers to everything.

The director did stop and say how much she loved my sound and how much I added to the group. I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal.

:tuba:

Sounds like my kind of director :tuba:
Frank
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3-piston BBb Helicon
Old Alexander Compensating F, getting valve job
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 am

> in your seat before the music director walks on stage
> not drunk, not high, nor b.o.
> correct clothes
> not chatty w/music director, and avoid chatting about any colleagues with anyone
> don't play in rests (at least, not G.P.'s or cæsuras)

' probably wont be fired.

bonus:
> learn D, A, E, & B major scales in two octaves

seeking accolades...??
> learn a few minor arpeggios...perhaps B, F#, C#, G#
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby roweenie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:23 pm

lost wrote:Well I went for the first time tonight. Brought my old Conn orchestra grand......The director did stop and say how much she loved my sound and how much I added to the group. I never got the hand which means maybe I should go bigger next rehearsal. :tuba:

How much bigger do you intend? :shock: :tuba:

lost wrote:Nobody commented on my horn being in BBb...nobody commented on it's size...nobody asked about lacquer vs. silver sound qualities, and nobody asked why I had pistons instead of rotors.

What a letdown! 

In all seriousness, we (tuba players) sometimes tend to get a little wrapped-up in ourselves...

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby YORK-aholic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 pm

roweenie wrote:Image

It looks to me like that drawing on the left was based on the King rotary CC. Just pointing it out as it makes my King happy to see it's siblings...
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Postby hbcrandy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Relax. Practice. Be in good tuba shape. Don't overthink. As I have told many of my students trying something for the first time, just go ready to play the tuba and you will do well. "Large" instruments can be played delicately in the hands of a well prepared player. For good while, I played a 5/4 Rudy Meinl CC tuba as my all-purpose instrument.
Randy Harrison
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Will Jones » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:30 am

Was it a 36J? Im waiting for my overhaul from Beeman Brass works!
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Postby lost » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:54 pm

Will Jones wrote:Was it a 36J? Im waiting for my overhaul from Beeman Brass works!

The 36j is a different horn than an "Orchestra Grand" which I think also gets conflated with "orchestral grand" which is a category.

My conn orchestra grand has been owned by a long list of tuba players who for many reasons sold her. It's an honor to own it and keep her playing as my "orchestra" horn. My old teacher liked it better than his Nirschl York.
J.W. York & Sons Artist

lost

Postby lost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:49 pm

Quick question. I'm finding during rehearsal my two sixteenth eighth note figures are sometimes behind or right on time ...depending how fast the conductor rehearses in the middle section of the tchaik romeo overture. Is a double tongue acceptable? I should probably ask the trombones... but best ask the jury first. Thanks for the comment on the solo b natural at the end. No timpani so scary solo with no place to breathe.
J.W. York & Sons Artist

lost

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:18 am

lost wrote:Quick question. I'm finding during rehearsal my two sixteenth eighth note figures are sometimes b̶e̶h̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶
̶ right on time .̶.̶.̶d̶e̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶d̶u̶c̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶h̶e̶a̶r̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶d̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶c̶h̶a̶i̶k̶ ̶r̶o̶m̶e̶o̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶t̶u̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶n̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶p̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶m̶b̶o̶n̶e̶s̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶u̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶.̶
̶

Forget the rest of your question, and just consider doing this more often. :wink:

m̶e̶t̶h̶o̶d̶ :arrow: results
bloke

Postby EdFirth » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:25 pm

Hey Lost, As regards the B natural near the end, you're kind of exposed when it starts, like you said, just you and the timpani, but when the strings come in you can absolutely sneak a breath. And it happens twice so you can have air to spare(if that's an issue for you). I've always done it that way and never been busted, even by the bass bone player, who actually thought I played it in one breath, who was in the Florida Symphony Orchestra at the time. It's just something you can use if you feel the need. Have a great concert! Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm

I suppose (??) you could place one of these under your foot or upper arm...(??)

bloke

Postby lost » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks for the advice bloke. Single tonguing quickly on a large tuba is still difficult for me and the tempo fluctuates to points where my ability level is surpassed by the technique involved. Double tonguing seemed like an easy fix for me.
J.W. York & Sons Artist

lost

Postby bloke » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm

I could introduce you to a very prominent player who cannot double-tongue, and - when note-velocity exceeds their single-tongue speed - has to flutter-tongue (in time...ie. 16ths, 32ths, whatever) the pitches.

...results
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet