Laskey 30H question Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Laskey 30H question

Postby bort » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:44 pm

I'll plead ignorance here -- are Laskey mouthpieces out of production now? Are they getting harder to find, or is there any sort of rarity involved?

I'm asking because I recently acquired a Laskey 30H, that has a lot of plating wear on the rim. Seems like a nice mouthpiece, but with raw brass on the rim, I find it unplayable (ouch!). Trying to decide if I should get it replated, or just sell it and let someone else deal with it.
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Laskey 30H question

Postby Douglas » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:59 pm

They have unavailable for purchase since Scott Laskey passed away.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
B&S Tuba Artist/Clinician
Tuba/Euphonium Faculty, Winthrop U, U of SC
Principal Tuba, Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba/Cimbasso, Opera Carolina
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Kdtuba » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:28 pm

I have a Laskey 30G that I intend on keeping forever. When the playing in the rim wears down, I'm going to have it replated in gold. If I can pick up another one for a decent price, or perhaps a 28C, then I'll definitely do so.
Kdtuba
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:56 pm

I think you should just play it and deal with it. :|
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Ken Crawford » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Have it re-plated of course. I suspect they will be back in production under new ownership sometime soon. The family found a buyer.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby paulver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:27 am

I have a Laskey 28H.... which was not my first choice, but it's the only one I could get my hands on. This was about a year or so before Scott passed away. He was an incredibly kind and knowledgeable person. (He was trained by R. Schilke.) Based on what tuba, how, and in what settings I usually played, he had personally suggested a 28G to me, but, at that point, no one had that particular mouthpiece in stock. So, I grabbed what I could get!!! I found this one on line in a store in Arizona. At that time, no one, anywhere, had his mouthpieces, and they were all complaining about unfilled orders from him...... probably due to his illness. That being said, I really like the mouthpiece better than anything else I've tried, so far. Very comfortable. However, I'm always open to something better.

I'm really glad to hear that they found a buyer for the company. I've talked to quite a few pro french horn players, and they all use Laskey mouthpieces. It would be a shame to simply have that company go down the drain!!!
paulver
bugler
bugler

Postby cjk » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm

You can buy my 30H for $200, but hurry fast, that's "buddy" pricing. :D
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Besides the original version (Schilke Helleberg II), aren't there - now - several more that have been issued as various artistes "signature" models?

...and no...
Brett claims that stainless steel "affects the sounds", so he should just play that properly-resonating brass mpc. as it stands.
bloke

Postby bort » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 pm

bloke wrote:Besides the original version (Schilke Helleberg II), aren't there - now - several more that have been issued as various artistes "signature" models?

...and no...
Brett claims that stainless steel "affects the sounds", so he should just play that properly-resonating brass mpc. as it stands.

I never said that. I said that i don't like the way that stainless feels (both the slipperiness and the "hardness" of it). I used a G&W mouthpiece for almost 5 years, and liked it ... but at that time, I (wisely?) only owned that single mouthpiece and didnt switch around gear all the time.

After that 5 years, I tried some brass mouthpieces again, and have never gone back to stainless for any extended period of time.

Joe, I really liked the Blokepiece that I used to own... but again, just didnt like the stainless. Any plans to.make them in brass?!
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Three Valves » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Couldn’t you just grow a mustache??
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:08 pm

I don't like "hard, and I don't like smooth.

me: I can't feel "hard". I can only feel "as smooth as new" (as with a silver plated brass mouthpiece, when taken out of the box) - today, tomorrow, and next year...without .0004" thickness of silver in place to wear off, or to get all scratched by beard stubble in a few weeks.

Stainless steel can be scuffed up, if desired. Sandpaper works, but not beard stubble.
bloke

Postby Donn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 pm

bort wrote:don't like the way that stainless feels

Can't say I liked it much either, but that's just going on one G&W that I also didn't like for other reasons. While looking around for info on alternatives, I see that there's some serious applications for bronze plating - or rather, "tri-metal" Cu/Sn/Zn, with maybe 40% tin, for a white finish that sounds like it's very durable and tarnish-proof. With less tin, the color is a golden yellow, and reportedly used a lot in decorative applications. Might be interesting to get a mouthpiece white bronze plated and see what it feels like.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby sugawi » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Kanstul used to make 30H mouthpieces, are they the same as Laskey?
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bort » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 pm

Not sure, but Jim New would be the person to ask.

And just to bring things full circle, I ended up giving this mouthpiece away to a friend.
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tubazach07 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Just got my laskey 30H back from Dan oberloh who restored it for me. It was worth the price and I am glad I got it done. If you have an old laskey send it to Dan and let him work his magic.
Seventh Fleet Band
Lee Stofer Getzen CB50
1934 Martin Mammoth Handcraft BBb
1910 Henry Diston
Laskey 30H
tubazach07
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Rivercity Tuba » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:11 am

For those looking for a 30H, the Dillon Roylance is a 30H. Call Matt at Dillon music and he can help you. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Reptilian » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:33 am

I've been on a 30H for the past 7 or so years and have enjoyed it greatly. Then I stumbled upon the thread about Gaps and made me realize that my DS most likely requires a Euro shank (doh!). I've been looking around lately for something similar and would like to try stainless, so with that, a few questions:

I see the G&W Baer has similar dimensions to the 30H--how is the rim and how does it compare to the Laskey? Anyone have any experience with a slightly larger diameter Taku?

I really want to try a Blokepiece, I'm just afraid that 33.2 mm will be too large for me and I definitely don't want to go smaller than the diameter that I'm playing on now, so I'm not sure what to do on that end.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I wish the local stores allowed one to try before they buy

In the end I might just say heck with it and just play it safe with a Euro Roylance idk
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Postby hrender » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:11 am

As mentioned, the Dillon Roylance is similar to a 30H. The Schilke Hellberg II and Hammond 30XL are similar as well. Blokepiece rims come in several sizes and configurations, so if you want to go that route you have several options.
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:29 am

We (me, Sellmansberger, bloke) offer several (most) of our rim profiles (without changing either the width nor the contour of the shape of the metal that touches the player's face) with several rim opening diameters (which most one-piece mouthpiece makers refer to as "cup diameters").

We offer an HLB2-shaped rim in several opening sizes, from medium-large, to large, to very large. Most - who buy this rim from me, order the 32.6mm size. They're even (all) offered in both the standard and "Profundo" depth, as the "Profundo" depth rims add 1/8" of cup depth.

None of my Sellmansberger cups are the shape of the (original modern-day manufactured mouthpiece of this style) Schilke Helleberg II (followed up by the formerly-offered Laskey 30H, the formerly-offered R&S TUHII, now - apparently: other copies) cup. I may be misguided in this, but feel as though it's important (when they bear my name) to only offer cup shapes that I actually use. Years ago, I went though trying those out (I believe there is/was also a "LOUD" with that Helleberg II cup shape, but with a different throat/back-bore), and personally laid them all aside. No...I do not rate them as "bad" (and many fine players do extraordinarily well with them), but I do judge them as "not for me".

:arrow: There actually IS a silver plated brass mouthpiece that has been shipped with some of the John Packer tubas (no name stamping / old-style PT exterior shape / Helleberg II interior shape and rim) which I would LIKE to be able to offer for sale (well-made/low-cost). I've been told by JP "We're working on it," but I haven't been able to buy them individually (without tubas attached to them) and offer them for sale...yet.
bloke

Postby Reptilian » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:53 am

hrender wrote:As mentioned, the Dillon Roylance is similar to a 30H. The Schilke Hellberg II and Hammond 30XL are similar as well. Blokepiece rims come in several sizes and configurations, so if you want to go that route you have several options.

Thanks for the response--I an familiar with those.

What I was saying about the blokepiece (and I might have mistakenly assumed it was easy to extrapolate with the given info) is that my laskey is right in between Bloke diameters at roughly 32.9mm. Bloke offers 33.2, which I fear might be too big, and the next size down at 32.6 is smaller than I would like to go. I very much like the diameter of the 30H, which is why I was asking about the Baer rim, but would try slightly larger at 33mm like that of a Taku or Dillon Olka.

But who knows! I might like the larger bloke rim
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet