Laskey 30H question Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Laskey 30H question

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm

If your facial structure is more flat (vs. "pointed"), you don't have any teeth that bump out in unfortunate spots, and you would mostly be using it with a contrabass tuba, you might well enjoy the 33.2mm
It's about the same opening (not the same contour, unless the Houser Hb) as a Conn 120 Helleberg.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Donn » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Not that any of these mouthpieces are likely to ever encounter my face, but ... how much we make of 0.15mm!

I happen to have a cheap plastic dial caliper at hand here, and I tried to crank it down to that just to see what it looks like - but there seems to be a little spec of dirt there, so it's stuck at 0.2. But I understand human hairs can sometimes be that thick, so there's an alternative reference.

Given a mouthpiece that's exactly 0.3mm larger - 33.2 vs. 32.9 - you'd find it hanging out 0.15mm wider on each side, that's where I get that number.

But here's the thing - did you get that 32.9 by measuring it? Did you happen to notice where's the perfect spot to measure? If your 30H is like any of my mouthpieces, there isn't one. It's a curved surface, that meets your chops in a various ways depending on how hard you're pushing in, etc. Another rim is going to be another curved surface, and not likely exactly parallel to the 30H. So measurements within one shop, like you'd get comparing the 28H to the 30H, are saying something, but measurements published by different manufacturers for different styles of mouthpieces are much less precise measures. Bach for example - is a Bach 18 really only 32.10mm? Well, sure it is, but let's not assume right away that it's a lot smaller than a 28H.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby MaryAnn » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Meanwhile, put nail polish on that rim to avoid metal poisoning if you're playing on it. Yeah it feels different; I don't mind it.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby hrender » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 pm

I know from using bloke's Symphony model with several different rim types and sizes that different rim shapes give you different perceived widths even with the same inner diameter, so it can be worth trying a few different ones. If you want want to try a blokepiece, talk to bloke. However, if you want a 30H cup and rim equivalent, I'd look at one of the similar makes/models already mentioned.
hal.
hrender
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:39 pm

...and our faces don't feature permanent "dents" that only accommodate one rim (unless we're really mashing hard). :roll:

I'm seriously approaching OLD, but - just recently - discovered that various instruments that I own (same length, but different - namely: a very nice cimbasso vs. a very nice F tuba) benefit from the use of different rims.

The rims feature the same contour (my favorite), but are nearly a full mm difference in opening size. The smaller-opening rim really tightens up the sound of the cimbasso, and discourages (I don't know how else to describe it) "overblow-itis"...ie. "too much mouthpiece for the instrument".

If you've ever stuck a big tuba mouthpiece into a large-bore tenor trombone or bass trombone (though I'm referring to a much more subtle difference), you understand that to which I am referring.

:arrow: TO THE TOPIC, if/when I find that I'm able to offer those well-made/low-cost Helleberg II rim/cup style JP mouthpieces for sale, I'll announce it here. :arrow: :idea:
bloke

Postby Reptilian » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Donn wrote:Not that any of these mouthpieces are likely to ever encounter my face, but ... how much we make of 0.15mm!

I happen to have a cheap plastic dial caliper at hand here, and I tried to crank it down to that just to see what it looks like - but there seems to be a little spec of dirt there, so it's stuck at 0.2. But I understand human hairs can sometimes be that thick, so there's an alternative reference.

Given a mouthpiece that's exactly 0.3mm larger - 33.2 vs. 32.9 - you'd find it hanging out 0.15mm wider on each side, that's where I get that number.

But here's the thing - did you get that 32.9 by measuring it? Did you happen to notice where's the perfect spot to measure? If your 30H is like any of my mouthpieces, there isn't one. It's a curved surface, that meets your chops in a various ways depending on how hard you're pushing in, etc. Another rim is going to be another curved surface, and not likely exactly parallel to the 30H. So measurements within one shop, like you'd get comparing the 28H to the 30H, are saying something, but measurements published by different manufacturers for different styles of mouthpieces are much less precise measures. Bach for example - is a Bach 18 really only 32.10mm? Well, sure it is, but let's not assume right away that it's a lot smaller than a 28H.

I've actually been meaning to go to my old shop and measure with calipers (I need to just buy one; I have enough use for it...), But no I haven't actually measured it and I have been going by manufacturers numbers, only. Fantastic points about the curvature making widths relative (along with other variables)! All very excellent points thank you for the feedback everyone, and sorry to hijack the thread :)

Subconsciously I think I was just looking for a nudge to take the leap into the more expensive modular lines. Luckily the wife just purchased entirely overpriced workout earphones, and I happen to still have some wedding gift money left over.

Going to reach out to the man himself and figure out the best setup for my Kalison DS. Thanks again! I'll let you all know how it goes.
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Postby Reptilian » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Donn wrote:Not that any of these mouthpieces are likely to ever encounter my face, but ... how much we make of 0.15mm!

Well, according to the news today apparently there is enough of a difference...
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:24 am

I should have these soon (not quite available, yet), and they should be quite affordable.
The name strongly indicates that it references Schilke Helleberg II (which - at least, to me, seems to be virtually identical - and the predecessor - to the Laskey 30H.
someone almost wrote:They shouldn't be copying others' mouthpieces.

bloke wrote:Yeah, and Schilke never copied the Miraphone C4/TU23 with their Schilke 69C4 - and did (??) the Laskey Co. copy a mouthpiece that was developed when working for another company? :roll:...so WHATEVER. :|

bloke "Perhaps, this post will prompt the mouthpiece whisperers who will discuss the significant differences between the Schilke Helleberg II and the Laskey 30H. :D

bloke

Postby barry grrr-ero » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Maybe I got this wrong, but I thought Joe just advertised that he's come out with a 32.9mm rim. Also, the Dillon Roylance does come in a Euroshank too.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Reptilian » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 am

barry grrr-ero wrote:Maybe I got this wrong, but I thought Joe just advertised that he's come out with a 32.9mm rim. Also, the Dillon Roylance does come in a Euroshank too.

And now you know why, after all this discussion, I'm less than pleased to have been sold a 33.2 a couple weeks ago when this new rim was coming around the corner...

It's all good, though...
Last edited by Reptilian on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 am

<off topic, but (I think...??) responding to a recent comment in this thread>

fwiw...
The new 32.9mm opening #2 profile rim only existed in two one-off/standard-height versions for months (with me - though I requested the prototypes being made - looking askance at them).
The decision/willingness to add yet-another rim to our selection (as - in our view - the selection probably needs to be culled, rather than expanded) was made very recently - and over my own reluctance to introduce/offer it. Again, I personally don't see the need to offer it, as (again) two other very similar rims are barely more than 1/100th of an inch larger/smaller...but I grew weary of the quantity of requests, and relented...and - since the $150 mouthpiece offers absolutely no options - it also occurred to me to choose this in-the-cracks rim size, just as the P shank (with a no-options lower-priced mouthpiece) spans both American and Euro shank usability.

:arrow: Just as a reminder, the VAST MAJORITY of tuba mouthpieces (including some that are more expensive than even the most expensive of mine) are 1-piece, and offer THIS cup, THIS rim, THIS back-bore, and THIS shank...thus avoiding dissatisfaction via take-it-or-leave-it-ism, as no options are ever offered.

</please resume topic: "Laskey 30H question>
bloke

Postby Ken Crawford » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 am

Well you will be able to buy brand new Laskey 30H mouthpieces soon. Eastman bought Laskey and will be cranking them out.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby ASTuba » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Going to take a bit of time to get all from Chicago to the new facility in Vancouver, as they are planning on making the mouthpieces where they have the high-end clarinet production.
Andy Smith, DMA
Director of Athletic Bands and Assistant Professor of Low Brass, Campbell University
Principal Tuba, Fayetteville (NC) Symphony
Eastman Tuba Artist
http://www.asmithtuba.com
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby barry grrr-ero » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:15 pm

a self cancelling phrase i.e. oxymoron: "high-end clarinet production"
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves