The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Carl Fischer Tuba Arbans

Post by TheTuba »

I jumped the gun and bought one of these
A) The wesley one is wayyy above my gift card range :shock:
B) It was only 26 bucks with shipping 8)
C) at this stage i feel a arbans would be better since i dont have to scrounge Universities websites and other places for the similar material, while the arbans come with a table of contents :lol:

Has anyone owned or uses one of these? I also noticed its also around 100 pages more than the wesley version.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Carl Fischer Tuba Arbans

Post by happyroman »

If you are referring to the new version edited by Mike Roylance, I would recommend anything with which he is associated. He posted about it on his Facebook page on Jan. 31, so it is very new and probably not familiar to a lot of people, yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Yes exactly that!

Since its very new, I (might) post a "review"(even though im pretty mediocre compared to y'all) about some of the major stuff that i thought was really helpful/unique.

Thank you roman, wanted to know if it was a worthful purchase :D
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Post by JESimmons »

It claims to be optimized for C tuba and transposed so that the original trumpet fingerings can be used. If played on Bb, the fingerings will be different.

Is the use of original trumpet fingerings really of practical significance?
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

If you can transpose from treble clef, there are two free versions to look into.

IMSLP has the original cornet version, public domain.

Trumpet teacher Pops McLaughlin (or something like that) took the public domain and rewrote it, adding more range and key signatures, such that it expanded to 900 plus pages. He initially sold it but recently gave it away as a free download. No, you won't want to print it. And why you'd want a couple of octaves high range to a tuba player, I dunno; but it has the duets and art of phrasing stuff that's left out of most of the common editions.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

Is the new one all new or just transposed?

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Jerryleejr wrote:Is the new one all new or just transposed?

JJ
Pretty sure it is the original trumpet method transposed for CC tuba. Mike Roylance did the editing, and I believe he tried to correct any wrong notes that have slipped in to other publications. Also, any written commentary would be his, so that is of value all by itself.
Andy