Miraphone Hagen 496 5 Valves

The bulk of the musical talk
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Miraphone Hagen 496 5 Valves

Post by Lamminator »

Just to let the people know that Miraphone has released the Hagen 496 with Five Rotary Valves. I have played the 4 valve model and thought it was great and the general view on posts here agree. I can also confirm that they will have a fiver at Music Messe 2019 in April. I for one will check it out and update with a review.

One very excited :tuba:
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
ZO Thunderbird Custom Bflat
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Miraphone Hagen 496 5 Valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

Good to know, I played both the 496, and 497 a couple years ago. Both great...

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Post by Lamminator »

Lamminator wrote:Just to let the people know that Miraphone has released the Hagen 496 with Five Rotary Valves. I have played the 4 valve model and thought it was great and the general view on posts here agree. I can also confirm that they will have a fiver at Music Messe 2019 in April. I for one will check it out and update with a review.

One very excited :tuba:

Tested with Korg TM 60 with contact mic. 443hz

B Tubas tested with PT 48 mouthpiece
C Tubas tested with AMH signatures mouthpiece and the one above.

I tested a number of models from Miraphone and Wessex Tubas And St. Petersburg.

Miraphone.

Hagen 496 5v.
I was very excited to see the availability of the 5valve given that I really liked the 4valve. Let me get to the point still really good intonation and minimal slide pulling needed however with the fifth valve stacked on top of the first valve the balance of the whole instrument has changed. And that’s not a good thing as the it’s quite a bit heavier and not as comfortable. A big disappointment for me as ergonomics suffer for very little benefit in terms of extra valve.

Hagen 496 4v
All the positives of great intonation and balance in a light weight package make this my favourite Miraphone B Tuba. It’s really easy to get into the right tuning with very little adjustment. A solid buy with super rotary. If you like Miraphone you will love this.

Bruckner 231
First time trying this out. Let me state I am not an experienced player on a C tuba, very compact and comfortable with easy playing position. I’m 176cm in case your wondering. I was really impressed agin that the tuning was easy to slot in the lower range was very accessible and the higher range surprisingly free blowing and in tune with little effort on my part. I can see why so many people like this instrument. My favourite C Tuba from Miraphone. The sound however didn’t say special to me. It sounded like a Tuba. I hope for a bit more special. Just my opinion and as I said I’m not the expert on these but I know what I like.

188 CC
Super compact wrap and you can give a a cheeky hug. Sooo easy to hold and move around and lovely sound above the second partial. This tubas sings in the higher register and would be great on solo repertoire. I found the lower register much harder to produce that full open sound like the Bruckner. I couldn’t slot the tuning as well and in part the tight wrap limited the BIG sound. I know it’s a 4/4 and it not going to have that same openness. Still and great Tuba for those wanted that style just not for me.

This model did not do it for me at all. The main problem was the valves! They were a bit rubbish. Not responsive and heavy. Actually the instrument was too heavy in my opinion and I didn’t like it. I know how may people like this model range 1291/1292. I kind of think i just had a bad example.

St Petersburg

210 CC
A big bore Tuba in a smallish package which would be suitable for someone playing outside a lot who doesn’t really mind if it’s gets bashed up a bit. The sound is pretty big the design and build quality leave a lot to be desired. I’m just not sure cheap horns are the way forward I wouldn’t recommend for young or old as a main Tuba. I’m not sure what market this is for. I would think a lighter smaller bore CC which could appeal to first time buyers would be a better way to go. Just putting a funky finishes on instrument doesn’t make them any better.

202 B Tuba Rotary 45 premium
See above. So on this one they have put German Rotary made by Voigt. Great Valves at an extra cost of €1700!! Yes you saw it. Seriously just buy a better Tuba. Honestly don’t waste you money. Save up and and just get a Hagen which is about €2500 more. I know what people will say but if we keep buying this stuff they will keep making it. Get a good second hand instrument and yes you may have to wait a bit there are out there........ somewhere.

Wessex

6/4 Rotary Tuba Kaiser
OMG. It’s the one of the Best Tubas I have ever played. Don’t take my word for it. Actually do take my word. Or better yet find one and play it and then take your word. The SOUND oh the SOUND. It’s the Tuba sound for B Tuba. End of discussion. Ok not quite. Even I sound good which is going some. It’s so free blowing and easy accessible in all registers you have to try it. Now you might think I’m sitting on the fence but not quite. The mouthpiece supplied with it is a custom one designed in-house. This really works. My mouthpiece didn’t quite lock in the sound. Completely hand made and under €10,000 euros it’s a bargain. Get one before they go up in price. This Tuba is tall and the lead pipe is high to. Most mortals will need a stand to play this at the correct angle. Wessex told me that the lead pipe has been lowered from the original design. I know the Americain market has a different focus than the BbTubas but this is a killer instrument which for orchestral use would purrfect. In the market for the best Bb Rotary Kaiser. Play it then buy it.

CC 6/4 Presence
I had the chance to play one of these last year and like it a lot but found the whole York style a bit alien to me. Since then I have played on more of this style of instrument and felt much more at home this time. For me the handmade light weight is great as I don’t care much for heavy instruments. It’s blows great and in the hall we were in the sound resonated and got lots of turning head on both the CC and Kaiser. I’m now in the the market for a Contrabass and this is top of the list. I think the flexibility and breath of sound you can get from this model will tick lots of boxes and enable it to fit into more ensembles. I could see me using this for solo work as well as the 18inch bell gives it a more focused sound in the higher register. The pedals speak great and the instrument resonates through your hands when you get the sound just right.

That’s about it really. I look forward to any comments.

Now where did I put my Bass ukulele?
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al
wagtuba23
bugler
bugler

Post by wagtuba23 »

Did you try the GRAND WESSEX Bb?
Walter Gomes
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Post by Lamminator »

wagtuba23 wrote:Did you try the GRAND WESSEX Bb?

I did.
It’s a monster and too big for me personally but it’s makes a great sound. I think if you want to cause structural damage to the building your in and the conductor crying in the toilet get one. I didn’t spend so long with it but I was looking for something a little smaller. When you see it I felt I should of spent longer in the gym on the weights bench but considering the size it’s light weight. Hope you get a chance to try.

Note *** Mike Roylance has been playing on one recently with Boston Symphony. If it’s good enough for him......
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al