What models of tubas do YOU like ?

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: What models of tubas do YOU like ?

Post by DouglasJB »

The best horns I have ever played and my personal favorites are the Nirschl CC's, Eastman CC's, Adam's Solo F and the PT9 (B&S 3100) I played at SERTEC 2017. But at this stage in life I'm down to one horn and as you can see in my signature, I'm playing an Eb... not a bad horn though, just not my absolute favorite, but it works very well for what I need it for.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Whatever I currently own? :)

But really, the all time favorite is the Miraphone 188. Even though I always end up wanting "more" out of the tuba, I know on the other end the output is plenty. The best 188s that I've played have almost played themselves.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I'm mainly a band guy, and I'm not anything close to avant garde; therefore the horns I've played and found most appealing to me are in BBb, and include Holton 345's, Conn 20 and 24J, Olds O-99-4 (and thus the Bach Mercedes), and Yamaha YBB621. Now I have to add the King 2341. I anticipate adding one of the last 2 to my equipment list in the next couple of years for solos, downsizing, and ease of transport.
I'll keep an eye on your used equipment list.
Tim
PS. As a business person, this is a really good question. I was in the car business for 10 years, in both sales and management. I didn't love every car on the lot, but I always knew that SOMEbody SOMEwhere did, so our shop kept even the old and the weird in good condition for that special buyer. There's always someone who just has to have a beige Yugo.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

My Miraphone 1293 is really a great tuba for me. Their 1292 and Bruckner are fantastic as well, but the 1293 is still my favorite.
The one Hirsbrunner Hb-2p I played at a Tuba Christmas a few years ago was one of the best tubas I've ever played, but doesn't have the low register or easy intonation of the 1293. But the sound....
The Meinl Weston Thor and Tuono were also two of my favorite tubas. "Point and shoot" so to speak.

As for F, my lack of F experience made me gravitate towards the big piston models by Willson and Adams because of the ease of playability, but neither had the sound color of the B&S Pt-10. I also liked the Meinl 45slp for the same reason as the other F's I mentioned, but I didn't bother to test it with a tuner. Something tells me that might change my mind.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Some tubas that I've played over the last couple of years that I REALLY liked were:

Miraphones
GB187

I don't own any of those, but I found them all (they were all new examples) to be very fine instruments. I actually liked the 495 and GB187 best of those four, much to my surprise. I like my Ursus and MRPF as well....
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

The correct answer is silver.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Tubas that drive to the gig, play and then send me the check.

But on a serious note I have three types of horns;

#1.The ones I mostly play on. These are the ones I want to meet my highest criteria and which I was willing to pay the price. Criteria are;
a.intonation
b.ease in playing
c.flexibility (as in usable for many types of genres, styles, ensembles, etc) and
d.that special feeling that you can engage the subtleties of music (a "student model" might not have this)
e.the physical aspects of the horn have to work for me (valves, how the horn sits.

BBb Hagen 496 (4v, I want to check the 5v out ASAP).
F "Tradition" Melton 4280
Shires .525" set-up with 6" bell, with straight goose neck and trubore 1/4v
Shires .547" w/8.5" bell (same valve and goose neck)

#2. These are the instruments I play occasionally. They do not meet all criteria above. Since I don't use them as much I'm less critical as long as I can do the gig with a minimal amount of effort. Some were specifically purchased because they were cheap, others were experiments on the way to finding a better horn.
Conn 36K sousaphone
F Wessex cimbasso
Amati tenorhorn (3v w/the medium bore) Great intonation by the way
967 Besson. Because of the typical out of tune notes (6th p, arggg) I will replace this with a Wessex. Many people would disagree.
King Duo-Gravis bass trombone (second valve move to the Saturday night finger position). This instrument has practically all the qualities of my #1 category. I just don't play enough bass to be more specific in my choice. This horns brilliant and the price was right.
Olds Flugelbone.
Williams 6. This instrument is definitely a category #1 except I don't play a lot of .500 tbn and there's a section of the outer slide that's dangerously thin. I put duct tape over that part and only use the horn if I really want that sound.

#3.Lastly these are horns I almost never use and just won't get rid of. I use them either as reserve or on gigs were I'm hesitant to take my #1 horn (for whatever reason).
F Symphony B&S 5v. Love this horn
BBb 163 Alexander. Also love this horn. If I had more usage for a 4/4 I'd use it.
BBb 1291 Miraphone This is the perfect replacement horn for my Hagen if and when I need that.
Conn 78H Great horn, the slides just a bit too worn for my #1 category.
Conn 70H

Honourable mentions. These are horns I sold but for whatever reason but I still believe in their qualities.
Conn 46K Best Conn I ever played but too heavy for me.
Conn 2J probably the best 2J I ever played
King 1241 I'll put this here as well
BBb Amati Arion
CC Miraphone 163
CC Miraphone 56J
Conn 32K
Conn 14K
Martin Mammoth (30" bell. why?)
Conn 44H
Conn 6H
Conn 48H

Honourable Mention Honourable Mention
My beloved Conn 36J from 1930. It had that "all tubas should sound like this" sound and inspired me to play. Also loved the recording bell which could be pointed everywhere (even up, since I played the tuba at an 80 angle). I just would never recommend such a tuba to anyone that didn't know how to make it play in tune. I never could, but what a tuba it was!

And now I realise that you asked for TUBAS. Sorry.
Too late. I'm not gonna delete it. Gotta go.
Cheers
JaxBen_20J
bugler
bugler

Post by JaxBen_20J »

Not intending to sound flippant, but I like anything that plays well and feels ergonomically comfortable. I personally try to avoid brand loyalty too much since even the best makers can put out the occasional lemon, and even those brands upon which some folks look down can put out really solid horns on average. I played a Kalison in college and it was a great horn, but I have read a lot of cautionary comments from other users that didn't care for various attributes about that model. Currently I play a Mack 410CC and I find that it actually plays with better intonation and response than that Kalison did - I'd love to try a 188 for comparison purposes, though.

Give me anything 4/4 size or larger with good valves, moderate-large bore, and solid intonation, and I'm happy. I don't care what the maker's mark on the bell is as long as the horn itself makes the sound I need and want.

Of course, if anyone has a PT-6 lying around for free, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands :)
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

I've liked a lot of individual horns.

But as for the horns I have played multiple examples of and have liked every one:

MW 182
Rudy 5/4
B&S Symphony
MW 2155
Miraphone 129x CC
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Put me down for the "unpopular tubas" category...

"Classic" German rotary tubas, BBb or CC
MW piston F tubas
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

Currently on my short list,
Willson 3400C (the compact model)
Kanstul 66S
King 2341 new style.
As you have probably guessed Im shopping Eb's and pistons....

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

bloke wrote:My opinions are stupid, too...
. . . which is why I'm posting them on the Internet."

These have impressed me:

YCB621
YFB621
MW182
MW2182
Cerveny F
Piggy
Cerveny 601
Rudy 5/4 CC
Neptune
Liberty Mo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Liberty Mo »

I always keep an eye open for Miraphones. The used market can provide some really good values, particularly for 186s and 188s. Unless the horn has been abused, most every one I’ve encountered (except the 190) has been very easy to play. I’ve owned probably 6 over the years and always sold them for more than I’ve paid.
Miraphone 1291-5v BBb
Conn Monster BBb
"Half of the World is Below Average"
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

My Bessophone: the tone of the Besson 17-inch BBb bell with the valve block and bugle of a 186.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

Unlike most of you I am a HUGE fan of the british 4 valve compensating tubas. As owner of a besson 981 soverign ee flat tuba I find this perhaps the best tuba I have ever owned. It can do everything. It is an ideal replacement for a medium sized cc tuba.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Buescher CC Helicons 8)
Yamaha 631 Eb
Rudolf Meinl 5/4 CC
Rudolf Meinl 4345 CC (both piston and rotary)
Newer Alexander 163 CCs
I actually like older, long leadpipe Rudolf Meinl F tubas though I've never owned one.
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
King 2341
B&S 101 / Gerhard Schneider / Sonora BBbs
Conn 52j
Rudolf Meinl 4/4 CC
Besson 3+1 19 inch bell Ebs
B&S F tubas
B&S PT-6 and PT-6p
Miraphone 188 CC
Miraphone 184 CC
Miraphone 185 CC
MW Thor
MW 46SLZ
Yamaha 621 F tubas
Gronitz PF125 F tuba
Gronitz PCK

There is certainly other stuff I would like if I had the chance to play it. I honestly haven't played a "new" model of tuba in years.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

For sousaphone, an original Conn 36K. I have played most everything out there, ancient and modern, and for a good balance of relatively good intonation, especially when you turn the upper loop of the first valve circuit into a movable slide to kick out for 1+3, etc., light weight, and tone not too compromised by the resin, that is what I prefer outdoors. If bloke ever comes up missing his, you will know where to find it.
Last edited by iiipopes on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

As brands go, I find myself drifting back to Miraphones more often than not. My "retirement" horn will probably be a 188 with the long 5th valve and preferably in silver - and hopefully it doesn't look like it's been sitting out at a driving range for 10 years. I've never really cared for the Meinl Weston horns as a rule, but there are some that I have really liked. Same for King and Conn, not my cup of tea. There are tons of places that sell new horns, and that's fine. The selection of used horns says a lot about the shop in my mind, though, and guides my "browsing" as much as anything.
Rob. Just Rob.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

eeflattuba wrote:Unlike most of you I am a HUGE fan of the british 4 valve compensating tubas. As owner of a besson 981 soverign ee flat tuba I find this perhaps the best tuba I have ever owned. It can do everything. It is an ideal replacement for a medium sized cc tuba.
A beautiful horn that the above poster sounds terrific on!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Tubamaphone
lurker
lurker

Post by Tubamaphone »

I really like my B&S PT-4. It's a 5 valve compact rotary CC, its size is perfect for orchestra/band or smaller ensemble work. Its truly a jack of all!