Tuba and Banjos

The bulk of the musical talk
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Tuba and Banjos

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I have been asked to play with the Rosecity Banjoliers. It is a new style for me. I played off the cord charts last night, had fun and didn't do to bad. I asked about buying a Fake Book but they said that they played in different keys then what was in the Fake Books. They hinted at some online sources. I need to make my own book to do some practice at home, and not barrow from the other players.

Charlie C. Chowder
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Re: Tuba and Banjos

Post by MaryAnn »

Yup, just simple chord patterns; you'll get it, but you need an ear. Also will point out that bluegrass tends to play on the back of the beat, the opposite of jazz which I hear as being on top of the beat. The off beats are often stronger than the downbeats. Can take some getting used to.
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuba and Banjos

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Yes, very. I do the I, IV, V with the blues group. I am playing Eb tuba, flute and also transposing on the fly with the sax. But I did have a problem last night with not being familiar with the music, four songs of which I had never heard, much to my surprise. And I have a book that we have built in class for the blues. That and the fact that there is not a lot of variations on the structure in the blues make it no problem. I did not help that I have not picked up my Bb since TubaChristmas did not help.

CCC