Fantastic Mouthpieces and Where to Find Them?

The bulk of the musical talk
Jazztuba
lurker
lurker

Fantastic Mouthpieces and Where to Find Them?

Post by Jazztuba »

I've spent my career up until this point playing mostly on unmarked mouthpieces, a holton 52, and a custom piece from Chuck Daellenbach, but none of them really sat with me as a player.
I'm looking for recommendations on where I could possibly find some mouthpieces to try out (a store or maybe convention or something?). I've tried every piece I could get my hands on in Canada, and none felt right enough to justify replacing my current piece.
I'm hesitant to buy pieces to try just because I know ypu have to try a piece to see if it works for you, but if anyone has any really strong recommendations, I'd definitely want to hear them!
Sorry for the long post!
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Fantastic Mouthpieces and Where to Find Them?

Post by WC8KCY »

Well, let's see...what exactly are you trying to accomplish with a new mouthpiece?

More volume, more precise articulation, more core, more fundamental, more depth, more endurance, etc.? And what tuba(s) are you using?
Jazztuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Jazztuba »

Really a bit of all of the above. I'm not so worried about articulation, endurance or volume, but I'm looking for a darker/deeper tone out of my piece. I'm playing mostly on a Conn Sousaphone for my jazz and contemporary work, and a Jupitar XO for Classical, but I'm looking for a new CC to use for both.

The pieces I have just feel resistant, especially towards the extremities of the horns (I've used the pieces on other horns in shops). I play trombone professionally as well, and I found a piece that worked for me just through trial and error, but I haven't found anywhere in canada with an inventory or tuba pieces I can try. With my tbn piece it was like slicing butter rather than sawing bread, and I just haven't found a tuba piece that feels the same way.
If that makes sense.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Jazztuba wrote:I'm playing mostly on a Conn Sousaphone for my jazz and contemporary work, and a Jupitar XO for Classical, but I'm looking for a new CC to use for both.
I think you're getting ahead of yourself here. What works on the Conn and/or the Jupiter may not be optimal for the CC tuba you acquire in the future. Wouldn't it be more logical to get the CC first, and then dial in your mouthpiece selection?
Jazztuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Jazztuba »

WC8KCY wrote:
Jazztuba wrote:I'm playing mostly on a Conn Sousaphone for my jazz and contemporary work, and a Jupitar XO for Classical, but I'm looking for a new CC to use for both.
I think you're getting ahead of yourself here. What works on the Conn and/or the Jupiter may not be optimal for the CC tuba you acquire in the future. Wouldn't it be more logical to get the CC first, and then dial in your mouthpiece selection?
I'm definitely not looking to buy immediately, but I'm looking for recommendations on where I could go to try out some different pieces. I know of festivals and stores where I can try different trombone and sax pieces, so I imagine there must be a store or annual convention somewhere with a variety of things to try?
ato95
lurker
lurker

Post by ato95 »

Jazztuba wrote:
WC8KCY wrote:
I'm definitely not looking to buy immediately, but I'm looking for recommendations on where I could go to try out some different pieces. I know of festivals and stores where I can try different trombone and sax pieces, so I imagine there must be a store or annual convention somewhere with a variety of things to try?

I don't know where you're located but the International Tuba and Euphonium Conference is coming up soon in Iowa City. I believe there will be plenty of mouthpieces to go and try out. I personally use Laskey mouthpieces but since Scott Laskey has passed away they've been short in stock.
Jazztuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Jazztuba »

I'm up in Canada, near Toronto, so Iowa isn't impossible! I'll definitely try to make it out, thanks!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Start with a Kelly 18 for the Conn sousaphone so you always have a mouthpiece you can play outdoors in any weather, and a Conn Helleberg 120S or Faxx equivalent for the Jupiter tuba until you get another tuba. Keep a notebook about what you like or dislike about each mouthpiece: tone, intonation, ease or difficulty of playing/slotting/resistance, breath support, etc. Then once you develop as a player, you can research the manufacturers, like bloke and Bob Tucci to refine the selection of a mouthpiece to suit your particular embouchure, breath support, repertoire, and ensemble. And then in a few years when everything changes, you can do it again.

Oh - in the meantime - the most important advice of all: get a good teacher/professor of low brass to make sure your fundamentals are developing properly so the selection of a mouthpiece expedites your playing and doesn't get in the way of it from bad habits. I am 57 years old, and even now, if something is giving me grief, whether breath support for a phrase, or intonation of a sustained section, or a technical issue, I consult for a couple of sessions to get someone to help me work through it.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

A few really good suggestions so far, but let me offer one more.

When I was looking for a mouthpiece for my Eb, I actually ordered several from the online Canadian Brass store. Slightly random, but not only did they have both of the Robert Tucci mouthpieces I wanted to try, they also had their own MB variant (which I ended up preferring over both RT's). They also do a 10% discount for new customers, free shipping, and a pretty generous return/trial policy. It allowed me to take a few days and really spend time comparing a few different models. I did end up choosing one from that batch that works well with this tuba, and even though I ended up finding something that was an even better match a year later, it gave me a really good starting point and a general idea of what I was looking for. And the RT's are excellent quality without breaking the bank.

Probably your best bet aside from that would be to go to the next big conference or find a semi-local music shop that carries a few different models. Good luck!
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

Quick free advertising for the Tuba Exchange -

I spent several years living in Alaska where, as you would expect, there aren't many (any) places to try mouthpieces. I had a reason to be in North Carolina for a few days, and so I booked an extra day to go to the Tuba Exchange and see what I'd been missing all these years with the mouthpiece lines I'd only read about.

They were more than welcoming. They set me up in a private room with a very good instrument and just about every mouthpiece in the shop. I spent probably around 3 1/2 to 4 hours there trying every one of them. No pressure, nothing. Just let me do my thing. I ended up with a fabulous mouthpiece and some very good conversation.
KKORO
bugler
bugler

Post by KKORO »

I drove to Custom Tuba in Detroit to try the entire line of Perantucci pieces. From my Northern Michigan home, it's about the same distance as you would have. You'll have to contact them in advance. I took my tuba down and spent over an hour with their pieces. Of the dozen or so I tried, there were two that were stand outs -- the PT-36 for a more focused sound, and a PT-50 for a broader sound. I bought both of them. I've not decided yet which one will be my "go to" piece because I really liked them both. I really liked my Helleberg 120S before I played the Perantucci's. The Perantuccis seemed to be a better fit for me.

It was a day well spent.

Be Well! KKORO
Jazztuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Jazztuba »

Thanks for all the info everyone! Really appreciate it! I'll see about making a road trip out to see if I can find anything at Custom Tuba, but North Carolina is a bit far for me at this point. I'll also check out CBs online store!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

If you're planning a trip, another option might be Baltimore Brass. Air Canada has direct flights from YYZ to BWI. You could stay in an airport hotel, and BBC is about 30 minutes up the road. And Doug Elliott, who like bloke does custom MPs, is in the DC area nearby.

If you do this, let us know and a bunch of local tuba players might meet you there :twisted:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

KKORO wrote:I drove to Custom Tuba in Detroit to try the entire line of Perantucci pieces. From my Northern Michigan home, it's about the same distance as you would have. You'll have to contact them in advance. I took my tuba down and spent over an hour with their pieces. Of the dozen or so I tried, there were two that were stand outs -- the PT-36 for a more focused sound, and a PT-50 for a broader sound. I bought both of them. I've not decided yet which one will be my "go to" piece because I really liked them both. I really liked my Helleberg 120S before I played the Perantucci's. The Perantuccis seemed to be a better fit for me.

It was a day well spent.

Be Well! KKORO
I would have mentioned Custom Music--I also spent a day there around 2010 with Jeff Rideout auditioning mouthpieces and found a perfect match for my Holton E-flat--but they have parted company with Bob Tucci and I have serious doubts that the PT-31 I obtained from Custom Music last Autumn is the genuine article.

Then again, if you audition a PT reproduction at Custom Music and discover that it's ideal for you, by all means buy it, play it, and love it--and buy a spare. Subsequent production runs of whatever model you prefer may not be anything like the first one you buy.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

The stories we've gotten here about what Custom sells are 1) existing Perantucci stock, and 2) being made by Bruno Tilz, where they were made some time back. Both of those sound exactly like "genuine article" to me, so I wouldn't worry about that. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84750&start=20#p654103

There was one report though of a recent attempt to visit them that didn't come off, so ... not sure it's the place it used to be for trying things out.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

If Custom Music doesn't work out, there is Dillon Music in the NYC/NJ area. They should have plenty of mpcs you could try out.

Finding the right mpcs is a years-long quest for many. I know for me, I have bought many mpcs over the years, looking for the best response and sound "match" for my tubas. It's kinda nice to have various mpcs anyway, they are like mini-tubas in a way because they all have their own playing characteristics.

As for brands of mpcs that offer many models, PT mpcs used to offer a huge line of mpcs. Years ago, there were literally around two dozen models you could choose from for tuba. One of my fav mpcs is still my old PT-68 :tuba: But if you are looking into modern PT mpcs, you should check out the RT mpcs as they are the true continuation/evolvement of the old classic PT line. They are still set at good prices, too.
Yamaha offers many models of mpcs, as does Bach. Both are very affordable and good. But since you are looking for a bigger, deeper cup they may or may not work for you.

I've never really gotten the urge to try out the expen$ive modular mpcs a couple ppl here make. But they seem to get really good reviews, and they are certainly versatile as you can change parts. Just expect to pay about 3-4X more for a complete mpc, than for a regular Yamaha or Bach mpc :idea:

Also, it's good to look at the specs of each mpc and compare to the ones you have to give a better idea of what you want in a mpc :idea: