Arban Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Arban Tuba

Post by timothy42b »

If you're okay with treble clef, the original version is public domain on IMSLP, and the re-written trumpet version with added key signatures and higher range is available free from trumpet teacher Pops. Both are PDFs.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

I have the spiraled version I’ve had pretty good luck with it...

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

My spiral binding come apart one day (caught on another book in my bag, so I put the whole thing in page protectors and in a 3 inch binder, took a while, but it's still in great shape
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I grew up on the Arban book (for trumpet). I now have the tuba version also, but rarely use it.

As good as it is, I think that time has given us a variety of books that cover more aspects of playing, and at the same time, are more focused on specific areas. For instance, you can build a collection of superb books by authors such as Sheridan/Pilafian, Sparke, Bai Lin, etc. etc., that go well beyond what you will find in the Arban book. You will find nothing in Arban that covers low range like Snedecor. Or high range for that matter.

The Arban book in some ways is quaintly outdated, with page after page of instructions on mordants, turns, appogiatura, and other ornaments that were so important in 19th century performance. But, oddly, it almost completely neglects minor scales, with one brief page that doesn't even include all minor keys. Nor does it cover all three minor modes.

I'm not saying don't get Arban, but if the size and binding issues are a hassle, maybe consider other avenues first.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

I found a PDF of the original Tuba book on Scribd.com. But I bought Carl Fischer's Arbans Complete Tuba Method for CC Tuba... and now that I got this thick book, I also want a PDF for my iPad. Before I destroy this book and scan it myself, did anybody already scan it?

If you can't find the original on Scribd, message me with your email and I'll send it to you.
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

bchev93
lurker
lurker

Post by bchev93 »

geomiklas wrote:I found a PDF of the original Tuba book on Scribd.com. But I bought Carl Fischer's Arbans Complete Tuba Method for CC Tuba... and now that I got this thick book, I also want a PDF for my iPad. Before I destroy this book and scan it myself, did anybody already scan it?

If you can't find the original on Scribd, message me with your email and I'll send it to you.
2 things
1 i was on scribd can't seem to find the correct book (nothing more than like 80 pages on there)
2 b4 you destroy the paperback edition how much u want for it. shipping not necessary
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

hup_d_dup wrote:You will find nothing in Arban that covers low range like Snedecor. Or high range for that matter.
Hmm. I noticed the same with my trumpet Arban book. I started thinking that I'd like a low range treble clef book since BBb brass band parts hang out below the staff so often.
NDCompuGeek
bugler
bugler

Post by NDCompuGeek »

Leland wrote:
hup_d_dup wrote:... BBb brass band parts hang out below the staff so often.
Is that a bad neighborhood or something? :)
  • York Master BBb 4V FA tuba
    Barrington BBb 4V FA tuba
    York Master Bb 3V FA euphonium
    Pan American Bb 3V FA euphonium
    A LeComte & Cie Eb alto "peck" horn
    York master F French horn
    Barrington Bb trumpet
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

If you check with your local professional copy center, they may offer spiral binding. If they do, they will hopefully have a cutting machine that they can use to remove just enough of the binding, creating a stack of loose sheets. They will then be able to cut or drill holes and install a spiral or comb binding.

I bought the trumpet version of Arban's, as well as the Max Pottag horn books a while back, and had it done on all of them so that they lay flat on the stand. This process works well, If they do it right, they do not get anywhere close to the printed music with the cut or binding.
Andy
bassophile
lurker
lurker

Post by bassophile »

Don't overlook your local college or university, oftentimes they have printing facilities that can handle this kind of job. You are probably already subsidizing it...

I had this very thing done to some method books in grad school. The print shop cut the binding off, punched rectangluar holes, and re-mounted everything on a wire binding. I can see one of them from where I am sitting now, it has held up well for more years than I care to admit. That I don't remember the cost is probably indicative that it was neither very cheap nor very expensive.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

happyroman wrote:

I bought the trumpet version of Arban's, as well as the Max Pottag horn books a while back, and had it done on all of them so that they lay flat on the stand. This process works well, If they do it right, they do not get anywhere close to the printed music with the cut or binding.
We have a comb binder at work, so I just bought the binding pieces and did it myself. I split it in two at a logical place to keep the stand weight down.

I've also just started taking a yoga class after work. The instructor is very good, but one thing she does drives me nuts. She has us "lay" down. Nope. Lie, lay, have lain; lay laid, have laid. It's not hard. I might lay my Arban down somewhere, but it lies on the stand.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

As I’m (im)patiently waiting for FedEx to deliver my new (and first) Eb tuba, I’m thinking about what my practice routine is going to look like to really solidify my proficiency on this flavor of tuba.

I have a nice copy of the Arban-Young-Jacobs complete method.

From what I’m reading here, the best approach for me might be to get a copy of the trumpet book and read it with trumpet fingerings (which I know from my CC tuba days)??

If this is in fact the best way to to approach Arban’s on Eb (is it?), then I propose a trade. I will trade my copy for whatever the best-fitting or most comprehensive trumpet version is out there. PM me if this is you.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

nworbekim wrote:
Ltrain wrote:As I’m (im)patiently waiting for FedEx to deliver my new (and first) Eb tuba, I’m thinking about what my practice routine is going to look like to really solidify my proficiency on this flavor of tuba.

I have a nice copy of the Arban-Young-Jacobs complete method.

From what I’m reading here, the best approach for me might be to get a copy of the trumpet book and read it with trumpet fingerings (which I know from my CC tuba days)??

If this is in fact the best way to to approach Arban’s on Eb (is it?), then I propose a trade. I will trade my copy for whatever the best-fitting or most comprehensive trumpet version is out there. PM me if this is you.
here's a public domain copy... follow this link >>>>>

https://archive.org/details/ArbansCompl ... Cornet1893" target="_blank" target="_blank
That one's good but it is hundreds of pages short of being the most comprehensive.

Try this one:
http://www.bbtrumpet.com/the-pops-mclau ... tion-page/#" target="_blank