Facial Hair and Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Kpen
bugler
bugler

Facial Hair and Tuba

Post by Kpen »

Hey TubeNet, I was wondering on what y'all think about having facial hair as a tubist. Personally, I would love to keep my mustache and beard, but I am unsure of the consequences it could have on my playing. What are your thoughts on the matter. Also, what kind of facial hair would be inconsequential to playing tuba? Thanks!
B&S PT-6P (3198)
Eastman EBF 864
Eastman EBB 431
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Facial Hair and Tuba

Post by toobagrowl »

If you already have a beard and mustache and it works for you, then great. Have you tried shaving clean to see what it feels like when you play?

As for me, I'm usually clean-shaven. Sometimes I will do a practice or rehearsal with some stubble and I'm still fine with it. But years ago I tried growing out a beard for about a month or so to see what it was like. It started to really irritate me, my face always felt itchy/scratchy, and I didn't like how the whiskers near my mouth interfered with my embouchure. I finally got tired of it all and shaved it all off :!:
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

I’ve tried both and noticed no noticeable difference YMMV...

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

Beard n mustache don’t work for me.
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Shaving doesn't work well for me. If I shave real close I break out in boils when the beard tries to grow back. After a few days I have enough growth to be flexible enough to play on, but trying to keep it at that length is a real chore. My only option is to wear a full beard and play real wet to get an air seal. Looks gross, but at my age who's looking anyway (the beard is presentible when it's dry).
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

I've had a (generally short) beard and mustache since I was about 19. I've shaved it off a couple times in the past 15 years, and I've never liked how it felt to play clean-shaven (despite doing so throughout middle and high school - I don't know what to tell you). Whenever I've shaved it off, I always immediately started growing it back, so I never gave my face time to get used to playing clean shaven, and maybe that was the problem. But I like playing with short facial hair, and I've never considered it a hindrance. Although I'm also not playing in a major orchestra, so maybe it was.
Tremozl
lurker
lurker

Post by Tremozl »

I don't have any problems as long as I keep it neat. I have a mustache and goatee, shave the upper lip a bit, and use a 3mm (1/8") attachment on a clipper I have.
If I let it grow to 6mm then I begin to have problems, especially in the lower ranges.

I have a friend who can't play with even the slightest stubble, so he always shaves clean.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

This often talked about subject amazes me in that some can play with facial hair and some can't. It must have something to do with the coarseness and thickness of the hair, mainly over the upper lip. I played for many years, with a mustache, when I was in my 20's and early 30's, and through my Guy Lombardo years. When I shaved it off, I did it merely for the looks. I don't recall any difference in the way I sounded or played. Fast forward to the late 90's, and I grew a goatee. After a few weeks, I noticed difficulty in producing a good sound in my low register. I began to keep it trimmed a lot, like the younger guys do today. I always had to keep it trimmed, or lose a 1/2 step on my low range every few days. I had it for a couple of months. One day, I shaved the whole thing off and I was amazed at the improvement in my overall tone and my low register seemed clear and easy. I'm not a thick beard kind of guy and I probably couldn't grow a decent looking full beard if I wanted to, but I guess my hair is thick and coarse in the goatee area. The upper lip area is the issue. A beard shouldn't have any affect, at all, and it's easy to trim the area right below the lower lip, if necessary.

So, no more facial hair for me, as long as I continue to play tuba. I have no desire to do the full beard thing without a mustache as a lot of players do. But my experience, and others, in having facial hair, shouldn't deter other tuba players from trying it. There are plenty of tuba guys with thick, full beards who play wonderfully. If you want to grow a beard or goatee, give it a try and find out for yourself.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

The position of lips vs mouthpiece can be different, from one player to the next, which has something to do with it. I have the facial hair, but then I'm another player who hasn't been invited to take a seat in a major symphony, and that could be the reason. Or, you should see my snaggle teeth, maybe that's it. Anyway, not a huge expanse of upper lip in the mouthpiece, for me, so the moustache isn't in the way.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’m going for the Amish/Who down in Whoville look... :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I went off tuba for 24 years and kept a full (but trimmed) beard for 20 of those years. When I started playing again I found that I had no low range with a hairy upper lip, so I went to the Amish/Lincoln/Leprechaun look. Four days of stubble, and I can't even hit a low Bb, much less pedals.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Ernieball
bugler
bugler

Post by Ernieball »

For me playing with more than about three or four days growth is really uncomfortable ... I'm jealous of those that say it makes no difference!
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

I've tried playing with facial hair, didn't seal well using a large mouthpiece, have been clean-shaven ever since.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
KingConnTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by KingConnTuba »

Lee Stofer wrote:I've tried playing with facial hair, didn't seal well using a large mouthpiece, have been clean-shaven ever since.
Same here. I tried and said forget it, tried without a mustache and concluded I looked even more stupid than usual.
Bruce

2018 Wessex TB692H "Grand"
1940 King "Monster Bass"
2004 King 2341
1968 Conn 24J recording bass
1950 Conn 20K sousaphone
1924 Conn 40K sousaphone
KingConnTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by KingConnTuba »

bloke wrote:Image
Yep! :tuba:
Bruce

2018 Wessex TB692H "Grand"
1940 King "Monster Bass"
2004 King 2341
1968 Conn 24J recording bass
1950 Conn 20K sousaphone
1924 Conn 40K sousaphone
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

Personally I don't notice a difference. I've had a beard for a few months and then I shaved it to see if my results changed -- it felt a bit strange but nothing new. I grew it back out and by playing remains the same. Still have my high and low notes, down to double pedal D.

I think this kind of thing really depends on your facial structure, some people may be lucky and have a beard with no downsides on playing. I have another friend with this same luck, he has a pretty grown out beard and he sounds just as great as he did when he was shaven.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Lee Stofer wrote:I've tried playing with facial hair, didn't seal well using a large mouthpiece, have been clean-shaven ever since.
Year before last, I did the "No-Shave November" for cancer awareness (one grandmother succumbed to lymph node cancer). It about ruined my playing with inability to "seal" the mouthpiece, causing cracked articulations, degraded slurs, and missed intonations. Everything came back when I shaved the beard off just before Memorial Day last year.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Being a pretty official member (I think) of the TNFJ, I think I can say that don't have no stinking problems with facial hair.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

When I need to play in a serious context (for me that's limited to brass band competitions) I very closely shave my beard to almost nothing. Definitely improves the low register for me, playing Bb tuba. Wife hates it, but will sacrifice my looks for better performance :oops:
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

If you have a mustache and/or facial hair just below the lower lip, you cannot create a good seal between the mouthpiece rim and the face. Air will leak out at some level. That might not be an issue on trumpet or horn but on tuba.... I think it is. Mr. Jacobs used to wear a pencil mustache just above his upper lip but when he played something important he shaved it off.

So decide for yourself, or be a lawyer and wear facial hair without thinking about it.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.