Re: Sam Pilafian

Post by bisontuba »

Wow.......
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

Im really surprised most on here have not discovered this podcast already. They have two I listen to regularly and Sam has done a couple episodes...

JJ
Last edited by Jerryleejr on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

That was seriously intense plus funny as all get out. Now I've got 12 more of their podcasts to listen to . . .
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

The episode was recorded/posted last December, yes? It sounded very hopeful; what's his status now? Social media has been a little vague, probably out of respect.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Mark Finley wrote:Pat Sheridan started posting well wishes a couple days ago. Being one of Sam's best friends and seeing those posts come out of seemingly nowhere, that leads me to believe that there was a not-so-good development in Sam's condition. I hope I'm wrong
Yeah, that's what makes me nervous. I've been thinking that it's either that or his immunotherapy -- which isn't easy to withstand, I hear -- was getting into top gear.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Not the news I wanted to see today.

I'm going to assume this is allowed since it was posted on FB by Sam's sister, Nerisa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaelrmurrin
bugler
bugler

Post by michaelrmurrin »

Wow. I had no idea about any of this. So this is a huge surprise to me. Sam was one of the biggest figures from both a playing standpoint and a pedagogy standpoint. About 4 years ago I saw him play a recital with the Boston Brass and met him. He brought so much to the tuba world from both a playing standpoint and teaching standpoint. One of my favorite tuba pieces "Silhouette" was written for him. The list could go on and on about how much he has given to the tuba world. He will be missed greatly. But his impact is deep and continues to live on.
Last edited by michaelrmurrin on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Oh, this is dreadful news, how sad.

I had one interaction with Sam, about 20 years ago I met him in passing. I called him Mr. P. He was nice and didn't say anything, but a friend told me shortly afterwards that Mr. P was someone else. :facepalm:
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Mark Finley wrote:Thanks for posting that. Incredibly sad. I was a freshman in college when John Fletcher died, so I never was that aware of him while he was alive. Sam on the other hand, partially made up my personal Mt Rushmore of tuba players.
Godspeed Sam. We all love you
Same here, in the sense that Sam was one of the very few well-known players that I had a chance to speak with.

He was one of the instructors at the OU tuba-euph camp I went to in '99 (Brian Bowman, Deanna Swoboda, and Ted Cox were there, too). I got some good tools from him, including how to get into improv bass lines and changing notes smoother. He even put me on the spot in front of the class, asking me to play "the craziest lip slur exercise you know of from drum corps."

Most importantly, though, he made us all feel like we could conquer the world, and that World Famous Professional Tuba Players can be as approachable as anyone else. It was just as valuable for him to walk us through range extension exercises and the kernels of what was to become Breathing Gym as it was to have drinks together at the bowling alley.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

RIP, Sam
sean chisham
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

I've been following this as well as Sean. I'm so sorry for this world, Sam. RIP.
--farah chisham
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Can't forget wearing out my Travelin' Light CD as a youngster grinding on his style. Not too mention all the Empire Brass stuff. RIP..
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

So sorry to hear this. Mr. Pialfian was always my favorite tubist to listen to. Extraordinary style and tone. Empire Brass CDs are still among my favorites.

RIP Sam Pilafian.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Sad to hear about Sam :( Never personally met him, but did hear him live a couple times back in his Meinl-Weston days; once on TV with the Boston Pops, and another time at a tuba conference.
Back when he was with Empire Brass, no other brass quintet had their sound or refinement.

He has contributed so much to the tuba community in many ways, and he also helped with the development/improvement of several models of Meinl-Weston tubas during the 1980s - 90s, along with Warren Deck :!:

Glad that I have several recordings of Sam. My favorite is still the Meinl Sextet CD :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The clips of him with Mr. Rogers are great, too!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I met Sam at a small horn workshop in northern AZ while he was still at ASU. I had taken my F tuba with me and saw him do a double take seeing it on my back. He did his breathing workshop, worked with all of us in groups, let me play both his CC and F tubas, and was incredibly encouraging and helpful, beyond anything I've ever experienced. For me, it's not the loss of a tuba player but the loss of the person that is hitting me hard, even though I only had that one weekend encounter.
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Post by Lamminator »

Very sad news. RIP.
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
ZO Thunderbird Custom Bflat
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.