The Atlantic Brass Band
Brass Band of Central Florida 3rd-279.6
Chicago Brass Band
Colorado Brass
Fountain City Brass Band 1st-291.6
Georgia Brass Band
James Madison University Brass Band 2nd-280
San Antonio Brass Band

I was typing the scores as they were being announced, so I may be off by a point or two. If you see mistakes, please let me know.
Last edited by GC on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: NABBA results

Post by GC »

JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: NABBA results---now complete list available

Post by GC »

GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Looking at the official results from the post above, I notice that the First Section all (except one band) got timing penalties and that the penalties pretty much scrambled the final rankings. Most interesting. A timing penalty also reversed the results in Youth Championship.

Late edit: I made the assumption that these penalties were connected to timing. There are other bases for penalty points. My goof, and I still do not know the reasons. I just find it difficult to believe that this would affect an entire section.
Last edited by GC on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

For those of us unfamiliar with these events, what are timing penalties? And can someone be sent to the penalty box for one?
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

Minimum and maximum times are specified for both the required test piece and the band’s own choice piece(s). All of this can be found in painstaking detail in the contest rules here:

http://www.nabba.org/pdf/2019/ContestRules12-04.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank

Here is the section specifically devoted to penalty points.

H. If a band’s program does not fall within the required time, penalty points will be deducted from the adjudicators total at the rate of one point from each adjudicator’s score for each minute or fraction thereof by which the time is exceeded or lacking. Points may also be deducted if, in the opinion of Contest personnel, a band inserts inordinately long pauses between movements or musical selections in order to achieve the minimum time requirement. Bands are expected to perform the program submitted on their registration form. Changes are allowed only with the prior approval of the Contest Controller. Any band performing a program other than that submitted and/or approved by the Contest Controller will receive adjudicator comments but will be ineligible for points.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Looking back through the contest archives back to 2006, only a tiny number of bands have received penalty points, most years none, occasionally one or two. It is difficult to believe that all but one band out of an entire section received points deducted, especially going up to 12 and 18 points lost. Looks like it's time for someone to go back through the video and check this out.
molefsky
lurker
lurker

Post by molefsky »

MikeS wrote:Minimum and maximum times are specified for both the required test piece and the band’s own choice piece(s). All of this can be found in painstaking detail in the contest rules here:

http://www.nabba.org/pdf/2019/ContestRules12-04.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Here is the section specifically devoted to penalty points.

H. If a band’s program does not fall within the required time, penalty points will be deducted from the adjudicators total at the rate of one point from each adjudicator’s score for each minute or fraction thereof by which the time is exceeded or lacking. Points may also be deducted if, in the opinion of Contest personnel, a band inserts inordinately long pauses between movements or musical selections in order to achieve the minimum time requirement. Bands are expected to perform the program submitted on their registration form. Changes are allowed only with the prior approval of the Contest Controller. Any band performing a program other than that submitted and/or approved by the Contest Controller will receive adjudicator comments but will be ineligible for points.
If only the rules had been laid out in actual detail. We still don't have satisfactory answers for why or how timing penalties were assessed. In fact we don't know, officially, that the penalty points were all timing related anyway. In your reading of the rule that would mean 3pts per minute but at least one board member informed me that he /thought/ it was 6pts per minute. We were given no official timing and our timing using the video of the performance does work out with either pt value.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Once a band gets the test piece, it's up to them to choose a second piece that will fit within the time limits. Folks have been doing this for decades.

The link I posted above to complete scores no longer seems to work. They may be on the Facebook page, but I didn't try to find them. The nabba.org site has gone through a major redesign, and the Brass Band Bridge current issue, contests results from this year, contest rules, and a several other pages are missing. Hopefully they'll be back up soon as the redesign proceeds.
molefsky
lurker
lurker

Post by molefsky »

Yeah we timed everything beforehand. We also went back and timed our performance from the video. The math simply doesn't work unless they left the clock running when they shouldn't have. Unfortunately we didn't have access to these resources within the window for challenging results and given that we never received any form of official timing I'm not really sure what we could dispute anyway. We just got numbers on a facebook page.

It was definitely an experience. We have a good number of band members who run competitive music events as part of their jobs but as a freelancer/private teacher I don't really have that much hands on experience running events. It was interesting to see and hear their reaction to their first NABBA.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

I blame the percussionists.
It's the easiest thing in the world to do, so they are very often the scapegoats.
But it's true 80% of the time!
(also the test piece was like 20 movements. if you pause a couple seconds, you added a couple minutes to your run time. Should have played it "attacca"!)