Martin 6/4 BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Martin 6/4 BBb

Post by Donn »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what I meant was, given that "bass vs brass" is a fair answer to the original question, why 6/4 Martins aren't one of the big BBb orchestra tuba options - what about a BBb Holton 345, in an orchestra section? I guess, when I put it that way - why of course not, the players who lean that way would be playing a 6/4 CC tuba, and the big BBb orchestra thing is maybe more of a European concept?
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

In case any one is curious, here’s how a 6/4 Martin sounds in an orchestral setting.

https://youtu.be/CLJY7uqrJlw" target="_blank

That’s my last performance in my 9 year tenure with the Chelsea Symphony of NYC.

I’ve posted it before because I think it makes a valid statement on behalf of the
Martin tubas.

Btw, it’s a 1932 4 valve, front action, with one piece original upright bell and bits!

Enjoy!
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Donn wrote:Why 6/4 Martins aren't one of the big BBb orchestra tuba options - what about a BBb Holton 345, in an orchestra section? I guess, when I put it that way - why of course not, the players who lean that way would be playing a 6/4 CC tuba, and the big BBb orchestra thing is maybe more of a European concept?
Only fairly recently have some of the 'top orchestra pros' started using big BBb tubas on select pieces from Prokofiev, Shostakovich, etc. That was only because one or two 'top pro' players started using large BBb tubas, so others followed suit. Again, we go back to the whole clout/infuence 'thing'. There were a few independent/ stand out players back in the day like Ev Gilmore (formerly Dallas Symph), Ross Tolbert (formerly Minnesota Orch) who used BBb tubas, though. I think James Jenkins has always used a big BBb in Jacksonville Symph, too.

The big BBb orchestra thing in Europe are mostly using large rotary Kaiser BBb's :!:

@ Frank Ortega:. Thanks for posting a clip of the Martin in orchestra context :wink:
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Frank Ortega wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 pm In case any one is curious, here’s how a 6/4 Martin sounds in an orchestral setting.

https://youtu.be/CLJY7uqrJlw" target="_blank

That’s my last performance in my 9 year tenure with the Chelsea Symphony of NYC.

I’ve posted it before because I think it makes a valid statement on behalf of the
Martin tubas.

Btw, it’s a 1932 4 valve, front action, with one piece original upright bell and bits!

Enjoy!
Ha! Definitely not woofy,puffy, or string bass like! I dig the growl!
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo