Hirsbrunner model 390 (aka: "HB2P")

The bulk of the musical talk
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Hirsbrunner model 390 (aka: "HB2P")

Post by kingrob76 »

Wouldn't your proposed leadpipe alteration create water issues while playing? Just curious....
Rob. Just Rob.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

bloke wrote:
kingrob76 wrote:Wouldn't your proposed leadpipe alteration create water issues while playing? Just curious....
I believe it's pretty obvious to where the already-existing water key would be moved.
Yes, but the downward loop also serves as a collection area which looks to be lacking here. Perhaps a slight "dip" before the upwards run would work to fill that? Or do you think it wouldn't be necessary?

For the record, I think this idea is darn near close to brilliant - putting a tuning slide there to adjust the pitch regardless of valve combination is a fascinating approach but I'm left to wonder how the leadpipe would "feel" with that much going on?
Rob. Just Rob.
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

I appreciate and understand quite well your observation on the lead pipe Joe. I owned a HB2P for 8 years and had a spring loaded trigger in the short tuning slide on the lead pipe which I could operate with the left thumb. This put the 5th partial, 4th partial C and the 7th partial Ab with first valve perfectly in tune. It only worked for flat notes which I felt were the main intonation issues on that tuba. I sold that tuba to Gary Bird. It was a wonderful tuba for me at that moment in my life.