Great Pictures/French C Tuba Document

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Great Pictures/French C Tuba Document

Post by Chuck Jackson »

I have just gotten done watching a DVD performance of Andre Cluytens conducting the Orchestre National de la RTF from France. On the DVD is a great rendition of Pictures and some great shots of the French Tuba in C. Although most of them are from the bell throat side, it is interesting to see how small the horn actually is, and, more importantly, how big it could sound. It is not a fat sound, but it is very present from the bottom to the top. No problem hearing the low G's in Catacombs or the low B Major Promenade AND, I think it is the most impressive recording of Bydlo I have ever heard. Very controlled and musical. Playing on that small an instrument must be easy. Unfortuntely, the tuba is only shown in about half of the solo, the rest is given over to the rather ebullient Mr. Cluytens.

The DVD is on the EMI label and is #DVA 4901259. I think what strikes me most is that this is a document of an orchestra when it still had an identity sound wise. Before most orchestras became homogenized, it was a matter of national pride to have an identity in sound. Sure, you may not like the bright, vibrato-happy trumpets, or the bassoon sound, but this is how it was. I, for one, am glad that this piece of history has been preserved. Oh yeah, you gotta get this DVD for the embouchure on the Alto Sax player. OUCH, that has to hurt. Peace.

Chuck Jackson
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

Where gig you find it? I did a search on Tower, and Barnes & Noble...to no avail. :(
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

French Tuba in C DVD

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Actually, we had it at the radio station. I will ask my boss tomorrow where it was obtained.

Chuck Jackson
classical897.org
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates