ISO instrument repair company to overhaul sousaphones

The bulk of the musical talk
ral1988
bugler
bugler

ISO instrument repair company to overhaul sousaphones

Post by ral1988 »

I have a sibling in charge of a large university instrument shop and the repair company they have been using to overhaul the marching band sousaphones has been less than adequate in timeliness (they will be working on some after the football season has started). The school is struggling to find companies that deal with these larger instruments for overhauling.

I'm seeking out the advice/recommendation for companies that are able to do the following:

1) complete overhaul of sousaphones
2) at a large quantity (8 or more at a time)
3) on time?

This school is fully capable of shipping stuff anywhere in the lower 48.

Feel free to DM or reply here. :tuba: :tuba:
DCottrell
bugler
bugler

Re: ISO instrument repair company to overhaul sousaphones

Post by DCottrell »

Badger State Repair?
evpt4
lurker
lurker

Post by evpt4 »

Beeman Brass Works, sent you a PM
ral1988
bugler
bugler

Post by ral1988 »

bloke wrote:I have a stack of un-overhauled Elkhart Conn 20K sousaphones here...

...but with the JP (John Packer: a King-alike with better-than-King valves, better-than-King slide alignment, and strong bracing) pricing (with BOTH MTS-alike case AND shipping to the school included), it's difficult to become motivated to restore and sell those 20K sousaphones...particularly as everyone wants bright silver (personal opinion: a finish which - after two or three years on a marching field - typically, is a disaster), which is expensive to have done in the USA). JP adds antimony in their silver plating formulation, which toughens it somewhat.
This school isn't interested in silver plated (director doesn't want it/ they have a color scheme that they want the whole brass section to follow) but I'll pass along your information for the Conns.
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Post by Wayne Rice »

I bought a overhauled Reynolds sousaphone from Borodi Music in Cleveland. Web site: borodimusic.com. I am not affiliated with the company other than I bought there horn three years ago. Mr. Borodi was very helpful. They do a lot of them.
Keep playing, because expression is life.
evpt4
lurker
lurker

Post by evpt4 »

So you know, Borodi has retired from repair, I purchased all his equipment and parts two years ago. He still has some horns for sale I believe.
My shop, Beeman Brass Works, specializes in large brass overhauls and refinishing jobs, with factory quality baked on epoxy lacquer.
We also have many new obsolete parts from Conn and King, dating back to the 50's.